Tethered remote viewing issue

How high is crazy high?

Canā€™t reproduce the issue right now but the speed test using only my phone give the same results with less jitter ~50ms

What about latency?

~900 average directly on the phone

Wild. I guess Verizon is doing some major QoS throttling on those legacy unlimited plans?

Whatā€™s the latency reported in the SpeedTest app?

Only 38ms ping using speedtest on the phone, 43ms on the tethered iPad

For comparison, this is what I see over LTE to my DVR:

Download 7.82 Mbit/s
Latency 278.00 ms
Jitter 35.64 ms

Iā€™m interested to see what results you get if you log into mine, if itā€™s an issue on the server side I can start trying to track that down. Itā€™s the comparison with Plex that had me confused, even a remote HVEC stream starts in ~3 seconds and I have to assume most of that is transcoding.

Running a speedtest to your DVR, hereā€™s what I see.

Over home internet:
5.64Mbit/s 287ms +/- 15ms

Over LTE:
2.32Mbit/s 950ms +/- 152ms

Since Iā€™m on the other side of the country, I ran a test to maddoxā€™s east-coast DVR as well:

Over home internet:
29Mbit/s 207ms +/- 50ms

Over LTE:
7.32Mbit/s 605ms +/- 55ms

Is recording playback any better than live tv playback?

The issue here is that our player was written originally for in-home streaming, and although I made many improvements for Remote DVR, it still doesnā€™t react well in really high-latency situations.

Apps like Plex and Emby use the iOS system player, which uses several techniques to improve buffering performance over high latency links.

Now that Iā€™m confident I know what the issue is, Iā€™m looking into some solutions. However it doesnā€™t look like an easy fix and is going to take some work.

Recordings still have a longer start time but from just a short test played fine once it started.

Mine still seems a little high compared to Maddoxā€™s, Iā€™ll have to see if cable splitters or anything like that could be causing more latency in the upstream.

Great to know youā€™ve narrowed it down, for now Iā€™ll just start a recording and watch it, if it works I have no problem doing that until a better solution is available.

I assume you tried watching an in-progress recording. How much slower was the start time?

If you pause a live tv stream for that same amount of time to let it buffer, does it also playback ok?

Iā€™m curious about playback of a completed recording. How long does it take to start, and does it playback smoothly?

Iā€™ve only tried a completed recording, it takes ~15 sec to start and then has a quick ~1 sec buffer right after it starts, after that it plays smoothly. Diagnostics submitted.

Looks like some of the slowness in that last diagnostics was due to how it resumes from the previous position. If you mark as watched and play from the beginning it should start more quickly.

Can you try that and re-submit? If recording playback is much better, that might point to an easy fix that could be copied over to the live tv case.

Download: 29.58 Mbit/s
Latency: 60.87 ms
Jitter: 15.72 ms

Hereā€™s my result on Verizon LTE to my house.

Couldnā€™t get an in progress recording to start, diagnostics submitted

Damn, maybe it is something on the server side of things causing the latency, Iā€™m gonna remove any coax splitters I can and start going over everything.

Marked as watched and retried, failed to start the first time and still took a little while the second but after two quick buffers was fine, diagnostics submitted.

@JMcGuire I was trying to run some tests against your DVR, but it looks like the SHIELD lost the DVR mount so things are failing all over the place.