TiVo Stream 4K & Button Mapper for Remote

Oh I see. I'm not really sure what you can do inside Button Mapper. The adb command would be:

am start -n com.getchannels.dvr.app/com.getchannels.android.MainActivity --es "tab" "guide"

I'll see what I can do with that.

I see on the "Button Detector" there is a Configuration option, do you plan to allow user options for the Tivo button mapping. I can't see why anyone would want the guide button mapped to anything else, but options for the "Tivo" button would be nice without having to use Button Mapper.

Indeed. Using Button Mapper to send KEYCODE_WINDOW causes superfluous keystrokes to be sent before Channels gets the correct code.

There was a good case made for mapping Guide to KEYCODE_WINDOW earlier. I suppose we could make some settings for this. But I'm not interested in rebuilding all of Button Mapper inside our app. Mapping keys to non-app functions (i.e. Android home screen) is already going beyond the scope of the app.

Please add long press Guide button mapping to KEYCODE_WINDOW in accessibility integration.

3 Likes

if you decide to make the change then it will be great but if not then thank you for what you have changed thus far for the the TiVo streamer because it's truly ajoy to use and watch channels on now. It's like you all have your own streamer now :grinning::+1:

5 Likes

Does the 2.1.24 update include the button mapper? Or is that still part of an upcoming beta?

Yes it is included.

Thanks, Aman. Just need to wait for Google to push the app out.

Thank you and the team for all of your relentless work.

2 Likes

If we can program it to show the live stream in PIP over the guide, is there to make this the default display for the guide where everytime you go to the guide the current live stream is shown in PIP?

4 Likes

Yes this would be awesome!

PLEASE tell me exactly what you're entering into Button Mapper to make this work. I have tried every way I can think of and I can't get it to work. I've even searched for a tutorial....but there are none. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Thank you!

Yes that would be amazing. The downside of button mapper is losing customizations if the device reboots. Kills the family acceptance factor, but if live PIP just kept rolling while the guide was accessed without me needing to send an ADB command regularly, my wife would be thrilled.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but is there an equivalent adb command to launch to the DVR "Up Next" screen? Since Tasker can send ADB shell commands natively now, I'm trying to remap buttons to align with my wife's use case:
Guide: display guide with picture-in-picture (easy enough with input keycode 171)
Tivo button: launch Channels pre-navigated to DVR screen

In the alpha you can use "dvr_recordings" or "dvr_up_next", or assign F1 to that screen under Remote Shortcut settings and then send that keycode

Is mpeg2 hardware decoding still broken on Tivo Stream 4k?

Depends if you got the 4800 update or not. They stopped it after all the issues were reported.

I paired Tivo Stream 4K remote with Nvidia Shield and tested button mapping features.

Only Guide button works while Live and TiVo doesn't.
@tmm1 Can you please add features similar to TS4K on Shield ?
Thanks in advance.

I've been using ChannelsDVR for about a week, and just found the this TechHive article, and followed the instructions. It is great how easily Channels works with the TS4K and remote buttons. I'm in for an annual subscription once my trial ends. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

1 Like

On the subject of the TiVo Stream Remote and Channels DVR, I'm having a couple of issues using it. If I use the number pad to go directly to a given channel and then hit channel up/down instead of going to the next channel up/down from where I am, it does it from the last channel I was on.

So for instance if I'm on channel 6000 and I punch in channel 5000 and then hit Channel up, instead of going to 5001, I go to 6001. I thought at first it was Flirc problem but I had the same issue using the remote that comes with it.

And possibly related (although maybe this is a Stream issue?), I have to punch in the channel number super fast or I end up somewhere other than my destination. Like I try to punch in 6009 and it starts changing before I get the last digits in. Maybe end up on 60 or 9 depending on how it reacts to the first set of numbers it "heard."

I first noticed it while trying my Harmony Hub out with the TS4K and then tried it with the remote that comes with the TS4k. I think it was maybe a bit worse on the Harmony remote but still needs to be quick regardless. Anyone else experience this and find a setting somewhere in the TS4k that gives a little more time on the number pad entry?

2 Likes