TV Everywhere Experiences (Internal Beta)

An earlier post made me think that YTTV was added, but I guess I didn't understand him correctly. Anyway, I would love to have it somewhere down the road if it can be done. I wouldn't mind changing servers for that.
Anyway, good to see you are still working hard to add features and more integration.

I just added this tonight and it is fantastic. It solves a lot (if not all) of the minor inconveniences and concessions I've had to deal with since moving from using cable company equipment regarding DRM.

Being on Verzion FIOS, all the Fox Cable Channels were protected (FNC, FX, FXX, FXM, FS1, FS1 and Nat Geo), I now get all of those channels via TV Anywhere! So now am getting full value of my cable plan in Channels.

On top of that, Verizon inexplicably only broadcasts HLN in standard def which is a bummer. But with TVAnywhere I'm getting HLNHD. So that's another big win!

Great work!

1 Like

I wish this had the option to support free streams via m3u8 links for those of us who don’t have any subscriptions to any other services. There are a few channels that can be directly streamed with no login required that I wish were integrated like this.

I'm curious about this too as I was able to use Philo with Fitz as well. Would love to see this get figured out since it's so inexpensive compared to other options

I wonder if there is a way to use the Android TV authentication rather than the texted code
Screenshot_20190613-213807

2 Likes

I am on the latest beta version on a qnap. After I enter my credentials I get the following error.

chrome stopped too early; stderr: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/headless-shell/headless-shell: /lib/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1) /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/headless-shell/headless-shell: /lib/libc.so.6: versionGLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1)

Currently testing...

Noticed problems with NBC. Prime time and Late night shows. Channels is trying to use the NBC News channel for these shows.

I had disable the TVE NBC News Channel, otherwise Channels was preferring this station over the NBC Broadcast on the Prime and the recordings were corrupted.

Also, be sure to rerun TVE guide update right after...if you have any recordings set up for tonight. After the guide is auto updated in the AM, this step is no longer necessary.

First and foremost, this rocks! Also have AS- channels from 6700-6703 on Xfinity. In addition 6600-6608 are SIMPSONS-

So I've discovered a few things:

1. When clicking the trash can, the source does not fully go away. Why is that? It remains listed, showing name and number of channels, with button to pick provider. No more trashcan. How does one fully remove it? EDIT TO ADD: Ok returned to the settings screen, and now it is no longer shown in the sources section. Is this normal behavior? I've never removed a source before so have no idea.

2. It appears this is not compatible with Xfinity 2FA. After #1 did not fully remove the source, I decided to try and re-add TVE. Got auth error with basically a screenshot of the 2FA code screen, but it is not something a code can actually be entered into. I enabled 2FA after initially installing TVE earlier today. EDIT TO ADD: OK I see the mention of 2FA not working in the other thread. Must have missed that earlier.

3. The TVE overlay showing verifying channels is stuck at 1/146, but I can see behind it that it is currently at 23/146. So something wrong with that overlay.

Question: will changing an account password cause this to stop working and require me to reauthenticate somehow?

In addition to these 15 scanned channels below being unmapped and getting no guide data, I filled out the feedback form https://getchannels.com/tv-everywhere-beta/feedback/ because the channel scan didn't pick up 20 channels that I subscribe to with my providers TV tier.
What can I do to get these channels mapped correctly?
6040 TCMP
6600 SIMPSONS-ESE
6601 SIMPSONS-OLDSCHOOL
6602 SIMPSONS-AZTEC
6603 SIMPSONS-KRUSTYLU
6604 SIMPSONS-CHANNEL6
6605 SIMPSONS-HOLIDAY
6606 SIMPSONS-OCHO
6607 SIMPSONS-FAMILY
6608 SIMPSONS-BIO
6700 AS-RICKANDMORTY
6701 AS-THEERICANDRE
6702 AS-THEVENTUREBROS
6703 AS-OFFTHEAIR
6758 NBCNEWS

Huh? This is not possible as the NBCNEWS TVE station has no guide data and hence the DVR cannot record from it.

USA 6052 Guide Data is wrong it has the Eastern guide data but Pacific feed. XFINITY 97217 Portland Or.

It looks like some west-coast users are receiving incorrect guide data for E, USA, BRAVO, SYFY, OXYGEN and SPROUT. We are working on a fix.

There are also several stations with no guide data available, hence they are currently unmapped. We are looking into solutions.

2 Likes

@tmm1 regarding changing an account password, can you tell me what will happen? Will I need to re-authenticate? Does Channels support that? Want to confirm before doing it.

No idea. Depends on what the provider does when the password changes. I would imagine it invalidates all existing sessions and they have to login with the new password, but it probably depends per provider.

Even if it keeps working, you'll need to trash and re-add the source because the DVR needs to login again every few weeks to keep TVE access.

I disabled those channels also for the duplicate channels I chose the pacific feed for now.

Any plans for a more 'elegant' re-auth method? Having to trash source is not ideal.

you only trash the source if you change your password

1 Like

I understand that. I'm saying that having to trash the source and re-add just because of a password change is less than ideal. If there is no way around it, it is what it is, but if there IS a better way, I hope the devs will explore that. I change passwords regularly.

Would this work with Virgin TV in UK? https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com

1 Like

The process of removing the account and readding it takes no additional time as a password change would. It saves all your favorites and the discovery process runs in the background, so unless you have some very specific setup, the process is pretty simple. I would rather see the Devs focus on working out any issues / adding all channels and providers before working on edge case scenarios