TV Everywhere Experiences (Internal Beta)

Thanks

Is there a way to have Channels not do that? At least in these early days, I'd like a clear picture (pun intended) of all channels I am getting.

Not sure why I would want this, so I figured I will try it out and see.
What does it give me if I already subscribe to Xfinity cable tv and use a 3 tuner prime.
Will it get me additional channels I don't subscribe to?

Before I try it I have four questions;

1. I don't have Chrome on my Synology NAS, will it work on the Synology with a quad core 64-bit Intel Celeron J3455
  2. Where does it store my auth info (username/password) and is it stored encrypted
  3. If I decide it's not for me, how do I uninstall it
  4. Will uninstalling it remove the stored auth info (from question #1)

What if your cable subscription includes a west coast feed and you select the east coast feed from TVE.
Would it then show both channels in the guide.

Woah TIL I can do this to make Channels de-duplicate the TVE channels with my QAM channels.

(Although I wonder if it's a bug that this hadn't already happened automatically)

Until I have more confidence that de-duping is happening correctly with TVE and my HDHR PRIME based channels, I'd prefer a way to have Channels not de-dup. Is that possible?

See the announcement post which compares how this works against PRIME.

Yes, 64-bit Linux is supported. Also stated in the announcement under requirements.

In settings.db on your DVR. The data is not encrypted at rest, but can only be accessed by someone who can get to your NAS filesystem. If you're concerned, you can create an Xfinity sub-account with limited access and use that instead.

Click the trash can under the Xfinity source on the DVR web UI.

Yes all associated data is deleted when you click trash.

Yes, only the channels which are the same will be de-duplicated.

Sorry this is a long-standing feature of the app and there's no way to turn it off.

I am excited to test this with YTTV. But my system is running on a Shield right now. Can I set up to test on a PC without messing up my Shield system? Do I have to be on a different network or do I change addresses or something?

1 Like

I just did this. Build a Windows PC, copy the contents of /DVR to the PC. Install channels and click restore

They send you a code through email or text.

But it is not a username/password. So you can't automate the process through a chrome browser. Someone would still have to manually put in the code that was sent through email or text (which is different each time).

although I think Fitzy is able to do it with a one time manual logon...could be wrong though.

Unfortunately neither YTTV or SHIELD is supported for this feature.

An earlier post made me think that YTTV was added, but I guess I didn't understand him correctly. Anyway, I would love to have it somewhere down the road if it can be done. I wouldn't mind changing servers for that.
Anyway, good to see you are still working hard to add features and more integration.

I just added this tonight and it is fantastic. It solves a lot (if not all) of the minor inconveniences and concessions I've had to deal with since moving from using cable company equipment regarding DRM.

Being on Verzion FIOS, all the Fox Cable Channels were protected (FNC, FX, FXX, FXM, FS1, FS1 and Nat Geo), I now get all of those channels via TV Anywhere! So now am getting full value of my cable plan in Channels.

On top of that, Verizon inexplicably only broadcasts HLN in standard def which is a bummer. But with TVAnywhere I'm getting HLNHD. So that's another big win!

Great work!

1 Like

I wish this had the option to support free streams via m3u8 links for those of us who don’t have any subscriptions to any other services. There are a few channels that can be directly streamed with no login required that I wish were integrated like this.

I'm curious about this too as I was able to use Philo with Fitz as well. Would love to see this get figured out since it's so inexpensive compared to other options

I wonder if there is a way to use the Android TV authentication rather than the texted code
Screenshot_20190613-213807

2 Likes

I am on the latest beta version on a qnap. After I enter my credentials I get the following error.

chrome stopped too early; stderr: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/headless-shell/headless-shell: /lib/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1) /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/headless-shell/headless-shell: /lib/libc.so.6: versionGLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedp-chroot/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1)

Currently testing...

Noticed problems with NBC. Prime time and Late night shows. Channels is trying to use the NBC News channel for these shows.

I had disable the TVE NBC News Channel, otherwise Channels was preferring this station over the NBC Broadcast on the Prime and the recordings were corrupted.

Also, be sure to rerun TVE guide update right after...if you have any recordings set up for tonight. After the guide is auto updated in the AM, this step is no longer necessary.

First and foremost, this rocks! Also have AS- channels from 6700-6703 on Xfinity. In addition 6600-6608 are SIMPSONS-

So I've discovered a few things:

1. When clicking the trash can, the source does not fully go away. Why is that? It remains listed, showing name and number of channels, with button to pick provider. No more trashcan. How does one fully remove it? EDIT TO ADD: Ok returned to the settings screen, and now it is no longer shown in the sources section. Is this normal behavior? I've never removed a source before so have no idea.

2. It appears this is not compatible with Xfinity 2FA. After #1 did not fully remove the source, I decided to try and re-add TVE. Got auth error with basically a screenshot of the 2FA code screen, but it is not something a code can actually be entered into. I enabled 2FA after initially installing TVE earlier today. EDIT TO ADD: OK I see the mention of 2FA not working in the other thread. Must have missed that earlier.

3. The TVE overlay showing verifying channels is stuck at 1/146, but I can see behind it that it is currently at 23/146. So something wrong with that overlay.

Question: will changing an account password cause this to stop working and require me to reauthenticate somehow?