TVE Beta: Recordings causing problems with Windows Explorer

I submitted feedback from my main laptop, but saw no link or way to share it. it just said submitted.

I try the same thing on the dev insider build...and computer won't load the Feedback up, cause its locked up, then it BSOD.

It hasnt been updated to latest dev build....will update and try again.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/130174-share-feedback-feedback-hub-windows-10-a.html

Doesn't show anything there under my feedback
Maybe it takes a while to show up.

As a workaround I use the following in a CMD file to handle the conversions:
for %%A IN (nameoffile*.ts) DO ffmpeg -i "%%A" -c copy "D:\recordings%%~nA.mp4"

Then as I said use 7-Zip file manager to delete the original file.

If there is a simpler/alternate method I am always looking to try something new.

So...still not seeing my feedback.
I got confirmation via the Win notifications all the data was submitted...so it was not blocked by my DNS filter (I made sure the Win 10 block list was disabled too).

Screenshot 2021-02-27 (4)

After I remux, I leave the original file and delete from within Channels.

1 Like

I was able to submit Feedback and get a link from my Insider build laptop. no idea why it still will not show on my main laptop.

it made a link, but, it looks like u have to login as me to see it?

1 Like

Seems like this has been a known issue in Windows for a long time.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/windows-10-file-explorer-always-scans-a-ts-file-on/ddd6d412-ba2a-48c2-8fa2-64a9c07d502c?page=1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-hanging-when-selecting-large-ts/dfdc431d-6590-49dc-91f0-7c604da10fa3

I looked into this today. Even if we update the PMT to remove the incorrect PCR pointer, Windows still tries to read the entire file trying to find a PCR and hangs Explorer until its done.

I'm not sure if it's non-compliant or against specs to have the ts without a PCR. If so, then Discovery and any others doing this are to blame. Probably have as much luck getting them to admit and fix as it is to get Microsoft to fix the Windows Explorer issue.

Regardless, the issue is because of how Windows is parsing the file to look for stats like duration, dimensions, frame rate, etc. I don't know how Windows does the parsing.

All I know is if I remux with ffmpeg (ffmpeg -i "filename.mpg" -c copy "filename.ts") or save with my video editor, they both create the PCR that is missing and put it in the video stream PID where it belongs. (Not enough packets in an audio stream for the PCR)

I believe this has been fixed for some time. We now insert PCR into most streams where it is missing.

3 Likes

I can confirm the last several recordings do not seem to have the Windows Explorer issue. Thanks!!!!

1 Like

Yea this has not been an issue for a little while on win 10. forgot about it.
It has been fine on win 11 too.

1 Like

Hate to dig up an old post, but I'm seeing the problem with an HLS M3U source.
Windows Explorer takes a long time to bring up details and can't determine the duration or correct bit rate.
Capture4
Doing that old remux trick fixes it ffmpeg -i "filename.mpg" -c copy "filename.ts"

Channels DVR recording has its PMT saying the PCR is in the null packets PID 0x1fff
Capture0

Recording the same HLS stream with VLC results in a perfect transport stream capture.

If you would like, I can upload 2 minute recordings from Channels and VLC of the same stream recorded at the same time.

What's the source?

hlstube docker container
I can PM you the link if you want to try from your end

okay will apply the same fix when hlstube urls are detected (starts with /_/)

3 Likes

That was fast. It's fixed now.

2 Likes

@tmm1 Can you do the same fix for this An easy way for Channels DVR to watch YouTube Live vids as a source?

Seeing the same thing with Custom M3U Channel recordings made using that source.
Takes 30 seconds to a minute for the right click on recording file context menu to come up in Windows.
TSReader shows that the PMT says the PCR is on PID 8191 (0x1fff). That's the Null Packet PID.

Recording the same thing using hlstube as a source doesn't exhibit this issue.

Thanks for the fix. Looks good now :+1:

1 Like