TVE - CBS/Viacom channels going away?

There's a rumor that all of the Viacom/CBS channels are shutting down their TVE services. Any truth in this?

Showtime is shutting down their app next week, Nick, MTV, Nick Jr, Comedy Central and Paramount Network are shutting down their apps on January 31st, but they will still have content via their websites. So you might still be able to stream some of the networks online like how CMT, TV Land and LOGO still stream live online even though their TVE apps were discontinued several years ago.

As of now CBS, CBS Sports, BET and VH1 are keeping their TV Everywhere apps.

Source?

The update they pushed for their apps a few days ago now has a popup about the shutdown when you open them, and cable companies in states that require advanced notice of changes have already mentioned it in their public notices:

1 Like

It's also possible that GCI has changed/updated their carriage agreement with Paramount, and they are no longer offering TVE access to that family of networks.

(I believe this is more likely the case, since the link immediately below post is about upcoming contract renewals.)

2 Likes

Nope, it affects all providers. In addition to the popup when you open the app, it's mentioned in the descriptions on their app store pages:

They want people to use there provider apps to watch.

thanks

1 Like

Those separate posts all seem to indicate that viewing through their respective websites will continue, which is what Channels uses.

6 Likes

And if they DRM the TVE streams, The End for watching/recording w/Channels DVR. Unless you can bring your Provider stream in somehow.

Came here to also inquire if the shutting down of TV Everywhere apps would impact the ability to watch content from Comedy Central, Paramount Network, etc. within Channels DVR.

4 Likes

Man, this is not good. We’ve lost way too many channels over the past year.. We’re probably gonna have to bail at this point.

2 Likes

Yeah I was about to say this, it looks like the respective apps will be going away but the stream on the web remains which Channels does indeed use.

It was talked about on todays (12/8) Cord Cutters 'Youtube' video and discussed on their website, "https://cordcuttersnews.com/comedy-central-mtv-and-paramount-network-streaming-apps-are-getting-shut-down/".

Personally, I think the days of TVE are coming to a close as more and more network providers are moving to their own streaming apps.

3 Likes

I suggest the following.
if you have channels you like watching and want to continue watching, consider learning and experimenting with alternative methods of bringing in your provider channels. Do not wait for feeds to stop working.

3 Likes

The original reason I started using Channels DVR was the live TV streaming service I have, didn't originally have a DVR feature, didn't carry my local channels, and their user interface and channel guide wasn't friendly or customizable. Channels allowed me to combine my OTA channels with the live TV streaming channels into one system, using an old PC (I've since moved Channels DVR to my Plex NAS), an OTA tuner (HDHR), and a subscription to a live TV service. You didn't have to be overly technical, and once installed, it worked with minimal effort. If you had a problem, you could go to the Channels Community for help, and a member of the Channels support team or another member of the community would help you fix your problem.

As more and more content providers started offering their own paid apps, and people moved away from cable to live TV streaming apps you can take with you on your phone, we've started to see some content providers move away from TV Everywhere and make you access their content through their app, or through a live TV service provider like Fubo, Sling, Youtube TV, and others. I think the writing is on the wall that the days of TV Everywhere are numbered.

I know there are members in this community that are working on ways to bring in the channels that have moved to content providers sites, but it's not going to be a 'turn key' system like the Channels system we all subscribed to is/was, and is going to require users to be fairly technical, because it will require a lot of tweaking to keep up with the changes the service providers make.

I have Plex, and I can record my OTA content there, but I'm guessing that within the next year, as content providers stop using TV Everywhere, we'll will drop Channels and learn to love the live TV streaming services crappy user interface and guide. Hell, I'm already paying for the service, so I'll end up saving a few bucks.

I've said it many times before... "cord cutting" will only be the cost saving measure it is for only as long as it takes for the networks and companies to monopolize things in a different way. As tech has advanced the last few years, streaming services have combined/merged...cost have gone up and up... will not surprise me if all "live TV" content is locked down to DRM protected, pay walled subscriptions services that requires certain hardware and software. ATSC3.0 for OTA tv is just the start of things.

For me, adding Pluto/Plex channels, add more singular linear content, no-stop stream of various shows of the past, good for nostalgia watching or background noise.
Less and less shows i am interested in watching regularly, are on networks "cable TV" channels.
More and more is streaming platform releases, Netflix, Paramount etc.

Those couple shows that I DVR and watch via Channels, provided by TVE, should TVE channel be gone, i can find via the Philo app (for now), or, via other online sources for rips.
Much more inconvenient, but, it the networks making it harder and higher cost to watch content legit and legal fashion. At some point, the end user, has to increase their debt and pay up, or cancel and no longer watch the content, or say screw them, and pirate content.

1 Like

Cord Cutter is reporting that Nickelodeon (https://cordcuttersnews.com/the-nickelodeon-app-will-soon-shut-down-along-with-the-comedy-central-mtv-showtime-and-paramount-network/) has been added to the list of programming content that is leaving TV Everywhere. It was also discussed on todays Cord Cutters YouTube video this morning (2//23), 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdP_VzHRTkw'

Agreed. I'll add that from the beginning I've said ATSC3.0 for OTA tv will become a pay tv avenue. Sure the FCC will mandate some form of free TV, so they will provide crappy programming and local news on, let's say 4.1. But all the good network programs will be 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, etc.

And that paid programming will be unrecordable because of DRM.

Yup, and we'll be right back to how it was before but instead of "channels" we'll have apps. And like cell phones, at the end of the day, we'll all be spending alot more then we were

1 Like