Update recommendations for Android TV boxes

I’ve seen this... I just don’t see a big difference ? Am I missing something.

Reason I ask, I have two more coming in from Amazon. I want to catch this before I sell off two of 3 Apple TV’s. I like tivo remotes a lot better!

Sounds like Google TV has the same issue?

Maybe you should try it on your other TV's if you are happy with it go for it... My experience was not that good. Yeah the remote was good .. I went with a Sofabaton ... where I can control every TV and device in my household.

Apparently there was a fix pushed out in July???

The "fix" helped with some streams, but messed up others. The next one partially fixed what they messed up, but it still isn't 100%.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for their responses here!

My "question" was more from a POV of a newbie - asking that the details page about the Android clients be expanded with some of this type of info. Coming in cold, you have no idea the different flavours or history of Android TV boxes. Even figuring out what "TS4" meant took a second. I don't have any experience with Apple TV so I had no idea what the generations even were. I have a bunch of Rokus but those aren't applicable here so its a bigger learning curve for me. That was my "question"/"statement".

So my request was get a sentence or two about each of the viable Android TV clients and put those in a list form on https://getchannels.com/docs/getting-started/quick-start-guide/device-support/. That way a new person (like me) can make a decision about what clients they may already have at their disposal, or what they should buy. Maybe even rank them by cost/performance. Indicating which generations are viable helps too (Apple TV 4th generation or later only). I need a high WAF for whatever client I put in and suggest replaces our cable company provided whole-house-dvr solution and just trying to minimize the amount of learning curve.

I’m sending the additional tivos back and keeping one.

I ordered a google tv. The tivo remote apparently will work with google tv.

The ts4k remote will pair with the google but only the standard buttons work. None of the additional buttons (live, tivo, guide, skip and Netflix) are available not even with button mapper.

Sofab!

One thing I find awesome I just discovered.... you can do show me movie movie name and plex shows up!? What!? I could never get this with Apple TV.

Channels needs this!

Man, this sucks. I was reading on Reddit it would... so you’re saying it doesn’t ?

I can't get those buttons to work. I even tried the paid version of button mapper from the playstore. But I don't have a good working knowledge android devices. If you find out something different please let me know. I really like that remote.

You did the thing where you enable network debugging and use an adb command to grant a special permission?

I used adb to set keycodes for other buttons, but I couldn't get button mapper to see those additional keys. I am probably missing something. I can follow step by step instructions but when it comes to adb and android I just lack a good understanding. Spent most of my life on DOS then windows. I'm just now trying to get the basics of python and json. I'll see if I can find some better information on button mapper and play with it a little more. Using the ts4k remote with the new Google tv would be great if all the buttons worked. Personally I like the feel of the ts4k remote much more than the sofabaton. And now tivo even sells them separately

I dug out a 1st generation Fire TV box (model CL1130) and it seems to work fine running the Channels app. Not running 4K or anything but regular DVR viewing from OTA sources looks fine to me and the performance seems snappy enough.

My experience with button mapper was different. For advanced functionality, I had to enable SECURE_WRITE_ACCESS with a windows program meant to be used with button mapper while connected to the device over network debugging. The only adb commands I used were 'adb connect x.x.x.x' then 'adb devices' to ensure it was connected. Then in the windows, it had a few buttons to do different things, one was the grant secure_write_access permission. That only needs to be done once, the rest of the setup will be done through the button mapper app. You'll have to use the 'Add Button' thing, and press the button you want to customize. Then you'll be able to go into that button and change what you want. To send a keycode, use keycode v2

I used this as a keycode reference:
https://elementalx.org/button-mapper/android-key-codes/

Forgot to mention the complete loss of a home screen your way. The CCGTV brings "Google TV" and the new home screen that wants to aggregate your entire viewing experience and give you a ton of recommendations, many of which are for services you don't currently pay for.

Whereas the TS4k still uses the Android TV home screen which has app specific row you can choose. You can also disable Tivo Stream and related apps and have even more control over how you organize the home screen.

And the remote kinda stinks. It's basic and has no real dvr functionality like the TS4k does. As others have mentioned, button mapper is your friend.

This assumes Tivo Stream 4K isn't on the list to be upgraded to Google TV this year....

Tivo developers I talked to on Reddit have stated they have no plans to upgrade it at this time. Why would they? It competes with their Stream app. Why update it to an app that takes away from their own ability to track and monetize your viewing habits?

That’s true. You’re seconding my purchase now. I will evaluate and if I don’t like it I will return it.

Channels DVR is available on Google TV right? I’m told the channels live app found on android tv requires side loading now....

Umm...who told you that? I have it on my CCGTV and TS4k's. There would've been much hoopla on here if they pulled it from the TV Play store.

For a verry short time the download button was missing from the channels DVR app in the Google play store on the CCGTV when it first came out. That was corrected quickly.