Update recommendations for Android TV boxes

Gotcha. And fyi for the hdr complainers, hdr fix is in beta. And I guess I can't get in trouble for mentioning it since tivo dev mentioned it on Reddit.

From TivoPM on reddit

Hi All,

Firstly, Happy New Year and we hope you all are safe and well!

I have been posting sporadically recently and had mentioned I didn't want to post anything about firmware deployments until we had things confirmed on our end. That's now completed and we plan to make a large firmware update available in our beta group tomorrow!!

This is a big update and we've been working hard on it. It's had a number of setbacks and so I wanted to give you details on what's in it and what we're planning on doing from a schedule perspective.

What's in the update:

• HDR Auto – Follow the source - this should enable those seeing issues with SDR content a much better experience, we've also included some settings to make sure you can configure as you'd like

• One-Touch Remote Button Function – Enable buttons to turn on a TV, switch HDMI input (if available), and launch intended function on non-CEC TV’s

• Wifi Stability - We heard you loud and clear and have been working hard here

• Audio Stability - There are a number of fixes included around audio also (including Dolby Vision)

• Resolution Changes - There are fixes for resolution and sync issues as well as black screen

• Additional fixes and stability updates

When do you get it:

• If you are in the beta group you should get upgraded to this firmware build tomorrow (Build number is 5211)

• If you are not in the beta group we hope to begin rolling this out in early February

• This is of course dependent on if issues arise whilst testing is ongoing in the beta group, more to follow on this timeline.

• Whilst we'd love for you join the beta group, please be aware that requests at this point will not speed up access to the new firmware, as such you will need to wait for the production release.

We've worked hard on this and we're looking forward to you getting it on your devices soon.

2 Likes

You mention the Sofabatons, never heard of them. Reviews and your feedback sound promising. What do you means "allow for direct access into Channels."? Thanks!

In our house, the following buttons are used for Channels:

• Red – Channels' Library
  • Green – On Now
  • Yellow – Guide
  • Blue – Schedule

Plus, the RWD and FFWD buttons are set to skip to the prev/next commercial marker.

http://sofabaton.com/u1.html

Ematic Jetstream. For some reason there are two models of it that are from what I can see identical. The AGT418 and the AGT419. There's no proprietary content, and you pretty much get the same interface as the Shield with a slower processor. $60-$70, at Walmart. It's also "Google Certified" so the HDHomeRun app will play DRM content if you're pulling from a Prime box.

But I have to say, as much as the Shield Pro costs I bought one 2 months ago and I love it. It's pretty much a MUCH faster version of the Ematic.

I'm contemplating playing with a Shield, partly for the AI up scaling and then also as the DVR Server and ditching the mini pc. Have almost $150 in Amazon credit thanks to swagbucks so it'd be a minimal outlay.

Have read a lot of nightmares and issues from the past couple years as the Server and some with issues as a server and client.

I'm trying to streamline my setup ditching a ts4k and mini pc on my one setup, is it worth it? Has server setup gotten easier? How is it as a client when the server is on the same device?

IMO, Shield TV is the best Android TV device out there. There's also some hope that it won't get that stupid recommendation ad on the home screen that takes up the top 1/3 of the screen.

As the server? I'm plenty fine with the TS4k as the client. Don't care about the ad. If they ever upgrade to Android 10, you're probably screwed in that regards as Google TV will probably become the default launcher and you'll most likey have to disable it and side load the android tv one.

But my main concern is as the channels server. I don't care that it's a little snappier and blah blah blah over the slower dongle devices for the client. I'm just trying to eliminate having two devices behind my TV and go to one with the Shield being the server and client on my projector setup.

I run mine as a server and I don't notice any lag or underperformance, but I only have the one shield, and one wireless chromecast w/ googletv

I bought the Shield pro on sale for $180. When I bought it I thought "Wow, this thing is ridiculously expensive."

Now that I have it I think "Why do they bother making those 50 buck chunks of crap?"

It works flawlessly. No performance issues, no other weird issues like random reboots, etc. It just works and it works well. It's a little expensive, but comparing it to the rest of the Android set-top boxes is like comparing a 1984 Yugo to a brand new Bentley.

1 Like

You get what you pay for. There are a lot of Roku fans out there and I have 4 of them but they are in a junk box because frankly they are crap. I am on Apple TVs now, but if I were committed to Android I'd want the Shield.

I do agree that the Shield Pro and the AppleTV are much better boxes, but they're also currently at about 4-5x the price of the TiVo Stream4K's that I primarily use. I have had zero "random reboots" or other performance issues. Only problem I had was having to use the software decoder for Channels on some OTA channels; that was solved in the last software update. For what they are - cheap little streamers - mine work pretty well.

Shield Pro may be expensive, but it's also the server, feel like similar performance from the just server alone would cost more to build, and still need a client.

Do you find the shield to be buggy? App issues, requiring reloads, audio stop working, requiring reboots...

This is my experience with Tivo which is why it went to my bedroom and I’m back on the Apple TV.

There is one key reason to consider android over Apple... Tivimate when needed.

Absolutely not. Everything is butter smooth, with the app, and everything else as well. Nvidia did a really good job with the shield. The only issues I've ever had with my shield was when I had a crappy flash drive connected, otis pissed on my solid state. I have since replaced it. I've switched the comskip to 2 out of 1,2,3, 1 was default and still don't notice any slowdown. In fact, I don't think I've ever noticed a slowdown. The max extent of my usage with channels is 2 simultaneous recordings, a comskip maybe going, and 2 clients watching something, one being the shield. It never skips a beat. I connected a ps4 controller and use retroarch to play old video games sometimes. I haven't gone as far as adding a hub and more storage, peripherals, but it's almost needed now.

No regrets with the shield. You'll want an ssd connected as adopted storage, I believe that's the major difference when I click netflix, it's up in less than 2 seconds, when other devices take wayyyy longer. and then probably a powered hub with more drives for storage. I wouldn't run 2 hard drives off the 2 shield ports. Audio has never stopped working. The only audio issues I have is trying to get the damn soundbar to power on and sync with my tv a 100% success rate. That's unrelated. I reboot my shield every day or every other day. Just whenever I think to myself, hmmm, I can't remember when I rebooted it last, it's never needed it because something has gone wrong.

1 Like

You do reboot it every day?

How is GeForce now gaming?

That was probably an exaggeration. A couple times a week probably.

The extent of my gaming is retroarch, doom 3 bfg, gta san andreas, and portal. Sorry, I'm not much of a gamer. I haven't tried the geforce now, which I assume is playing a better more modern game the shield wouldn't be able to handle by using their equipment? I wanted to try it, but nothing was free, or I couldn't find anything free. Think I'll have a closer look maybe.

My Apple TV never requires reboots..... hmmm

Ok. Go reboot it and I'll do the same. We can share screenshots in however long you'd like. Why not reboot your device from time to time? I equate that with starting my car and never shutting it off. Purposely not sleeping until I just pass out. Keeping a modem hooked up and never powercycled ever until there's an issue. Yea, I used to be at the other end of the comcast call. You don't conscientiously periodically reboot all your shit even when nothing's wrong? What kinda techie are you? Lmao. Jk

i reboot my Shield maybe, 1x every month or 2.
sometimes my usb audio DAC starts acting nutty, and rebooting the shield fixes it.

1 Like

it starts acting nutting because you waited a month or 2 to reboot it :laughing: