Update recommendations for Android TV boxes

nah. before i started using it, i only rebooted Shield for updates, wich are very few, or if i had to move some cables around.

Tube shield in my Livingroom, hasn't been rebooted since the last os update, otherwise, never gets rebooted. no issue with it.

My router, a Ubiquiti ER-4 have had as long as 5 months up time with no issues.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd definitely do a shield. I did have a a couple old laptops laying around. One of them a 4 core multi threaded I7. Overkill, but it has a purpose now.

Next time instead of a restart try going into apps and killing them all. I still can't find a one-button utility to do that on the TV box, Phones and tablets sure, but not the tv boxes. Whenever I get a little weirdness it usually means my daughter loaded the craptacular HBO app, which apparently does more data mining than actual movie playing.

That don't fix usb accessories...
But sometimes apps mis behave..and on the shield, u double press the home button and use the recent app screen to close a app out fully with the little x under it Or I can go to apps and force stop an app too.

I think you are comparing apples to zebras. A car is not designed to run perpetually. A TV streaming box isn't intended to need frequent reboots or they wouldn't bury that function deep into the menus... there would be a button on the main menu. I reboot streaming boxes, including my Android TVs, only if there is some problem occurring that I can't get to go away. On the Apple TVs, that is a rarity. Unrelated, but on my Rokus, it was sometimes multiple times a day which is why they now occupy a box in the closet... all four of them.

It certainly doesn't hurt anything if you want to do it, but to say it should be done every couple of days I don't agree with at all, and it hasn't been my experience of many years of streaming boxes.

Of course I exaggerated, just illustrating the thought in my head that it's just like anything else, probably needs a rest from time to time.