Use my own dynamic dns

I remote into my channels DVR from a remote location that has a static IP, but since my home IP is not static I use the remote location login option on the ATV app.

The problem with this is that I must set my port forwarding rule to accept any remote IP address, in order for the built in Channels proxy to work. This results in attempted access to my network from all over the world.

My router runs it’s own dynamic DNS server, so would it be possible to incorporate a dynamic dns option in the app so it could get my IP? This way I can close the port to all but that one remote device.

Channels does not proxy anything. The connection between the remote client and your DVR is direct.

I believe you're referring to the check the authentication process does to try and make sure your DVR is accessible. When you lock down remote access to one IP, what exactly happens?

2 Likes

After a few days the authentication process thinks that my server is no longer online and no longer forwards the connection info for the remote device

Okay. Perhaps we can add a button to that page to let you force ahead even if it thinks its not online.

2 Likes

Perfect

Okay I made some changes. Please try it out.

1 Like

Ok. Will take a few days till it would time out.

You can force reconnect in the app by clicking the Logo on the Settings tab.

On the DVR or in the ATV app? ATV not running beta, it’s on stable.

In the app. Doesn't matter stable or beta.

Just timed out again.