Use original YouTube thumbnails on your YouTube video imports

If the text you pasted is exactly how your file looks then you left out the video ID on this line:

video_group = 'VIDEO_GROUP_ID'

Where do I find the Video Group ID?

Thank you :grinning:

On the web UI, open the video section you want the ID for and it is a long string of numbers/letters in the web bar.

It will look something like this: videos-35a727295f2a0b31a938638d7f43a3b6f5193fa3260613be7f41dc3ca673c9ee

1 Like

That did the trick! Thanks so much. By the way, I noticed that the file name remains unchanged after running the script. The title and thumbnail changes as expected. Is this normal behavior?

1 Like

No, the file name should change as well. Did you change anything else anywhere in the script file? Only those two lines at the top (server_url = 'http://Your_server_url_here'
video_group = 'VIDEO_GROUP_ID') should have anything in them provided by you. The rest of the script shouldn't be altered.

1 Like

Example of how it looks on mine:

Hmm. I didn’t change anything else. This is one of the processed files.

Lenovo Flex 3i Chromebook Review - Affordable and Feature Packed 12.2 - 2023 version_(2023-05-17)_[S3IeYyzAlxU]

Yes, and your underlying filenames didn't change. Nor did mine. The title, date and thumbnail change, but the original filename itself does not. This is normal behavior:

1 Like

Hmm..., not sure on that one. It looks correct to me.

I don't think you're understanding my clarification. This is the original question:

I don’t think I was clear enough. I was referring to the actual video file not the meta data. So after processing, the meta data appears correct as well as the thumbnail, however the actual video file name remains the same.

Oh, gotcha. Yes, I mis-read what you meant and @Fofer called me on it. :grinning: Good catch!

Anyway, yes, as he mentioned, the original file name doesn't change.

Cool, I just wanted to be sure everything was working correctly. I can’t thank you all enough for your help. It truly is a great community! :grinning:

Another way to see all of the VIDEO_GROUP_IDs at once is through the API & Feed Explorer (Support-->API & Feeds) and look at the JSON of the Video groups. The URL formed by selecting video groups option is: http://channels_ip:8089/api/v1/video_groups

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I had always opened them one at a time, but that is good to know.

After using this script for the last 24 hours, I’ve noticed that it replaces “?” And “:” in the title with “_”. Is this a limitation in how the script deals with these characters?

Also, I’m currently using Keyboard Maestro to run the script every minute in order to avoid the title not getting updated fast enough. Are you using a different method?

Thanks again for your help :grinning:

Every 2 hours has been working fine for the pace of my subscriptions. There are lots of ways to make this happen, like cron or LaunchAgents. The automation can also be set to run whenever content in a specific file path changes, which may work better for you in this context. And if you prefer a basic GUI for managing this, I can recommend Lingon.

Any idea how this script could be adapted to add the YouTube author to the Channels episode title field and the YouTube video title to the Channels summary field? This way, it would show the YouTube channel name above and a description of the video below. Since I keep all of my videos in the same folder, it would make it much cleaner and clear what I’m watching. I do it this way, so I can watch all of my videos in succession without having to play each individually.

You would have to break your videos into Video Groups by the channel to get the name in that field. That line always shows the name of the Video Group.

If I were to do it this way, would each video display in a separate folder or would they all show up together? When watching my videos, I don’t want to have to select each video in separate folders to play them. I hope that makes sense…