Using Channels with TVE only

I thought I'd try to get the opinions of other users. At our previous residence, we used Channels to combine our OTA channels and TVE service. Since moving to the house we live in now we've been using YouTube TV as our location doesn't pick up OTA channels due to being blocked by mountains. Still, I'm finding myself torn between using YTTV's app or using YTTV through Channels as I prefer some of the features, like commercial skipping and recording only new episodes. Not to mention I think the Channels guide is much better laid out. I just don't know if it's worth the $80 to use Channels on top of what I pay for YTTV? When I think of Channels it makes sense when combining OTA and TVE, but I don't know if it's logical to use it just for TVE. Ultimately I know I have to make the choice but it would be great to get the opinion of others in similar situations if possible.

I consider the cost of Channels to be a nonnegotiable expense required to make TV work in my house — just like electricity and internet. It’s not just recording and commercial skipping, it’s virtual channels, custom channels, bringing in my own content and movies, all presented in a unified interface where I can make changes without altering my family’s experience. Not everyone uses Channels the same way, but for me it’s not expendable.

5 Likes

I could probably get away with using the app from the provider im using but, for me it was nice to pull into one place my OTA, TVE, Pluto TV(which you can record using Channels), custom channels like my security cameras into any device. So awesome to watch on my tv instead of going to my computer. Along with some of the perks we had with TIVO(com skip and what not). Also while saving money from Xfinity. Granted when all of these services were sub $50 it was a much better deal. But with all that being said. I am still saving money over getting TV through Comcast. And like psperry said. I wanted something that the entire family can use. The interface is much closer to a traditional dvr than any of the hulu, youtube, philo services I have tried. And you can keep your recordings for as long as you want. Granted 9 months is pretty good for Youtube.

3 Likes

I think you both make really good points. I think my concern is if I’m not combining services is it still a good move? There is also the content I’m losing that doesn’t come over to Channels. Kim also concerned about some of the threads I’ve read on here of people having authentication issues with YTTV.

Is the added value of local recordings and the UI/UX of Channels equal to or greater than your cost of your OTT service of choice? That's the only question that matters.

Is the value of having your DVR recordings saved to your own hard drive and the Channels UI/UX worth your monthly payment for YTTV? If they're equal or greater then logically you should go the Channels/TVE route. But you're the only one who can answer that question ...

I get what your saying. But there is more to consider. Like the networks that are lost because they don’t support TVE.

Which networks that matter to you do not support TVE? Is having live linear access to those networks a deal breaker? If the answer to the first results in a list of more than one, then; if you answer "Yes" to the second then Channels is not the software for you.

But, if you can't answer the first, or you're unsure about the second, then you should consider Channels as a viable alternative to your OTT'a first-party app/DVR.

1 Like

One other thing to consider as well and this is an outlier... If your internet goes down. You will not have anything to stream. Having some content saved locally like Star Trek TNG is nice. Over the past couple of years it was nice to have something just incase there is nothing on or if your internet service is down.

I also run Plex on my nas as well with dvds ripped to it from my collection.

The internet going out would actually benefit YTTV’s app as I could switch to cellular and cast to my ATV as Apple devices don’t need internet to screen share.

I’d lose MLB network and NBA TV. Then my local PBS is gone as well.

Then you have to drive if MLB, NBA, and PBS networks are something you're willing to go without. If so, Channels may work for you; if not, then you'd likely need another strong reason to use Channels over YTTV (or whichever ITT service you choose).

Virtual Channels alone is worth $8/mo (80yr).

Closest alternative would be ESPN to Channels on git.

Other then that. All the good points have already been made. For me Channels isn't about saving money. Its about control over my content and local DVR.

Fair enough. In that case can anyone tell me which is better for TVE with Channels YTTV or Hulu Live TV? I had Hulu for a couple of days prior to switching to YTTV due to getting a $10 discount on YTTV for a year. However, it seemed to me that Hulu Live stations loaded a lot faster in Channels that YTTV stations do. They seem very sluggish. Not to mention I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get YTTV to work as a source due to the 2FA issues that weren’t a problem with Hulu. Anyone else have experience with that?

Can anyone also tell me besides Pluto what other free services with quality content I can add into Channels for free? Maybe through docker like Pluto. I can’t seem to find an actual created list

Someone was providing the links without having to use docker for Pluto. I believe they also offered Stirr as well. I subscribe to the the hulu live, disney, espn bundle as it was cheaper than just hulu by itself. I am not sure if that deal still exists , but I get all 3 for $62.00. So it was an added bonus to watch some of the new starwars series if your into that. Looks like it is $75.99 currently. I guess keep a lookout for deals like that. I just got lucky and caught it at the right time.

Have you used YTTV with Channels? If so, did you notice a load time difference between YTTV and Hulu as a source?

There is no difference, as the streams all come from the networks' websites, not from Hulu or YouTubeTV.

I was thinking there might be some issues when it comes to having to take extra authentication steps with YTTV vs Hulu. I can tell you there is definitely a load time difference between watching in the YTTV app and in Channels. As I mentioned above, I used Hulu for a couple of days and thought it was snappier in Channels than YTTV is. I just wanted to see if others that have tried both might had the same experience.

You can't compare the app vs TVE. TVE will always be a little slower logging in. Totally different login methods. It honestly has been way to long between my YTTV and switching to Hulu to remember if there was really a difference. But I rarely use the app side for them. I do use them as backup incase my internet connection goes down. So they record the main shows that I want. So I do take the time to do that. But for primary watching I could go a month without going into the App on my Apple 4k TV.

Here is the pluto and stirr dockerless option I had mentioned.

1 Like

I appreciate all your responses. I think I just need to weigh my scenario. All I'm doing is recording shows and then after I watch I delete them. I'm not building a library and other than Pluto I'm not bringing in any other sources. On the other hand, I really like the idea of watching DVR and having the commercials skipped.