Viacom/Paramount Networks channels, Get "": unsupported protocol scheme ""

Trying to tune to MTV Philo 6012 and the client ( Apple TV 4K Channels v5.8.2 ) was receiving a not authorized error. This just started within the past couple of days.

Updated the server to 2024.04.21.2105 and now receiving the error:
Failed to start stream for ch6012: TVE: Could not fetch playlist from : Get "": unsupported protocol scheme ""

We can watch the channel through the Philo client just fine. All other channels through Philo are working.

Diagnostic logs submitted through the client.

Sever logs below:
2024/04/23 13:30:18.888283 [HTTP] | 500 | 1.973348ms | xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx | GET "/devices/ANY/channels/6012/hls/stream.m3u8?abr=false"
2024/04/23 13:30:20.189643 [HTTP] | 200 | 1.06043ms | xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx | PUT "/devices/ANY/channels/6012/hls"
2024/04/23 13:30:20.846278 [ERR] Failed to start stream for ch6012: TVE: Could not fetch playlist from : Get "": unsupported protocol scheme ""
2024/04/23 13:30:20.861925 [HLS] Couldn't generate stream playlist for ch6012-dANY-ipxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: TVE: Could not fetch playlist from : Get "": unsupported protocol scheme ""
2024/04/23 13:30:20.863388 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session ch6012-dANY-ipxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

XFINITY has the same problem not just Philo ...

[ERR] Failed to start stream for ch6012: TVE: Could not fetch playlist from : Get "": unsupported protocol scheme ""
1 Like

Appears the issue with Viacom/Paramount channels are back.

I only had the Western feeds (6011-6025) and now it says they're not available in my location.
Rescanned the Eastern feeds, got those channels back, but getting the same error on all of them (6010-6024), Get "": unsupported protocol scheme "".

3 Likes

Same issue here. I submitted logs…

66b6d29a-e1ee-47bb-ab4c-d5e24033e28b

2 Likes

I'm seeing some of the same issues here.
I'm hoping the developers will be able to chase this one down.

1 Like

The ONE day i have something set to record, that does not repeat for a long time, on one of these channels, it is affected by some issue and fails to record.... lol. It was BET channel.

How do you set it to re-record? I do not see an option to do so, only a Delete option.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club. Frustrating when it's a one time airing.

If it started recording and was delayed or interrupted, you can mark it as not recorded, or set the pass to re-record deleted and delete the recording.

If it never started recording and was queued by a pass, it will still queue future airings of it.

If you selected it to manually record, instead of using a pass, you have to find future airings, or set a pass for it.

Not working for me on Channels. I am also not able to watch on the tv channel's website using my web browser.

Which channel?
I'm able to watch CC on their website.

CC using DirecTV Stream login on Firefox (mac). I get a spinning circle. Usually it will work.

Same with Cox. Diagnostics submitted: b5be381c-6567-447a-b3bf-41d754b5e782

Website / CC4C works fine.

Make sure you have disabled anything that blocks audio/video from playing on their website (I have this issue in Firefox). You may have to disable a browser-based ad-blocker, but not necessarily.

Same issue with Viacom/Paramount Networks channels. The live streams work with my provider via TV Everywhere in a web browser but not through Channels.

Yep, seemed to start yesterday. Recording of Comedy Central failed last night and worked Monday

1 Like

Me too.

6f07e5dd-707a-4ba5-ad9c-d855ce57b835

Should be resolved in the latest pre-release.

2 Likes

Had to force a few rescans, but after that it seemed to finally work as expected!

1 Like

Thank you. You guys are amazing.

Working now with latest Pre-release, after I had to fix one thing on my end...

BET would not stream at first, logs said "pubads.g.doubleclick.net" could not be resolved possibly due to ad blocker.

I added that url as allowed for my CDVR server only in my Ad Guard Home DNS server.
(OISD Big list has it blocked)
The stream loads fine now.

Just FYI for anyone using DNS based ad block.
(this is the very first time ad block DNS has caused me an issue with Channels DVR in any way. Very nice of them to suggest that is the issue when the server can not resolve a needed url)

Edit: The initial issue Reported in this thread was not caused by ad blocking DNS. But it seems after the server update that URL is a required in order to stream these specific channels.

Edit 2: I use ad blocking dns as the system that runs the CDVR server also runs other things and Windows. There seems to be no way to specifically bind just the CDVR server application to one specific network interface in Windows. I whitelist what URL’s are needed and that has worked fine for years. Also, not had a single issue with AdGuard Home blocking any of the “normal” streaming services either their apps or website streams. It is the browser extensions that give me issues with those services.

We have suggested numerous time, including in our extensive Troubleshooting page in the software, to not use DNS ad blockers. I know you've seen this mentioned numerous times.

DNS is an extremely brittle piece of the internet and messing with it is almost always going to create unusual problems that are hard to understand. Almost every widespread outage of services across the internet are always DNS related. We can't detect every error in every circumstance, so we continually suggest to stop using DNS ad blockers.

If you want to use DNS ad blocking on your network, feel free, but we would highly suggest not doing it for the computer you're running Channels DVR Server on. There's not much reason Channels DVR Server would need ad blocking anyways, so just let it flow freely.

3 Likes

This issue was resolved, so we're closing it up.