Weird App Store Pop Up

Not a Channels-specific issue, but a question related to the new release from a newcomer to tvOS: on my AppleTV 4K, I opened the store to update the app and I kept getting a popup that said something like "you must accept the new media terms and conditions", I'd click OK and it would say "Coming Soon". I didn't see anywhere to read/accept those, so I uninstalled then reinstalled the Channels app and it was the latest release. What did I miss? tvOS 15.1

To close this one out: I talked to Apple Support and this is a known issue they are supposedly working on. The problem is that there is not a way to accept the Terms & Conditions from the AppleTV 4K - supposedly that is being remedied. I think the expectation is that a user would already have accepted this on their other Apple device(s), but I don't own any others. In the meantime, my solution was to load iTunes onto a a laptop, sign in with my appleID and then attempt to watch a free TV episode. Upon doing that, I received a prompt from iTunes to accept the Media Terms and Conditions. I clicked on the "Accept" button in iTunes, and that made the error go away from AppleTV.

3 Likes

You sir are a genius.
Thank you for sharing this. Exact same problem and your suggestion fixed my apple tv.

Additional note, clicking the play button in windows iTunes on a free TV show didn't bring up the accept terms, I had to click the "get" button and then got the apple ID login, mfa, and finally the terms screen. Accepting it there made my apple tv bypass the absolutely ridiculous coming soon screen.

Shame on apple for this seemingly widespread problem for people that aren't sucked into the apple ecosystem. Get your S together apple.

1 Like

Great tip! Try as I might I can't seem to find any "free purchases" of TV episodes to watch though, everything I click has a price tag attached to it. Is there a working example you can share? Or a tip how to find a free episode on my own? Thanks!

1 Like

Gotta buy an episode and pay that Apple tax :rofl:

Yup it appears that way. Everything that mentions "free" is just a trial subscription or episodes attached to an AppleTV+ subscription. Back in the day there were lots of free samples of S1E1 in the iTunes Store, but it appears those days are over. This isn't a big deal for my personal devices, I have an iPhone and can handle the validation the prescribed way. But my work has me administrating properties that have AppleTV's installed (with a different AppleID) and this error has popped up causing issues from time to time.

The fact that a user whose only Apple device on hand is an AppleTV can't get past this roadblock easily is kind of ridiculous but also, so... very... Apple.

Hopefully the press this situation is getting will shame Apple into fixing the UX. It feels like a bug. But maybe not?

Yeah that is why I hate Apple .. Still on my 1 Apple TV I own stills wants to update my ID using an Iphone which I do not own or wish to own... I still can use the Apps but it is annoying.

Finally got around it by signing out of iCloud.

2 Likes