What Will Channels Become After TVE?

I have Philo too but feel like the UI, commercial skip, etc of CDVR is so much better. I still pay for Philo but I watch 95% of my stuff off CDVR. I have a HDHR doing my locals into CDVR so if I could somehow get all my Philo channels, well the ones I watch anyways, into CDVR without using the tve feature I would be set to use CDVR forever. I want to attempt to get some Pluto channels into CDVR but I’m like not tech savvy in the least so I’m just not sure about it. I’m at the end of a 3 year move so once I’m settled I’m going to attempt to do this.

1 Like

You can? Full episodes? All I see with a cursory search are segments and short clips.

1 Like

I remember as a kid always figuring that was a misnomer from people just being used to calling 5.25" discs floppies and it became the name for a portable disk. Now looking back, I guess hard disk was already taken is basically the reason. I remember my computer lab teacher saying that the 3.5" floppies just had a hard "case" now but the media was still floppy...but that always seemed like he was backing into that explanation.

There are plenty of guides on forums. If that feels to intimidating feel free to DM me or one of the mods. One of us can guide you through it really fast/easy. No tech skills required.

Back on topic. What attracted me to CDVR is unified TV guide of OTA + TVE. If TVE dies. CDVR can still offer unified guide of OTA + FAST (Free stations ex: pluto, roku, etc) as long as their api stays open.

Feature I think mods should look into is official integration of 1 or more FAST stations. That way users don't have to ad it as a custom channel. Just select a drop down list click Pluto and done. I think it would go a long way in helping users.

2 Likes

Agreed!

2 Likes

Same for us, Philo TVE + Local OTA via HD Homerun is a great combination for our home. Pluto seems daunting, but I was able to figure it out with the guides. I use the nocords links found in this post Pluto for Channels - #410 by tmm1

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I will take ya up on that offer for help if I.can’t figure it out. Like I say I’m finally moving here soon so as soon as I get settled at the new place I want to get this set up. And Yes if I had a drop down window to add these things I’d done did it. I’d like to add Philo, add some channels from Pluto, and maybe do the work around to get USA back working. I’m building up a DVR collection of shows I like to watch so I will probably always use CDVR so I would like to learn how to use some the other features so when TVE is gone it’s still the main thing I use.

2 Likes

I don't keep shows or movies after I watch them. As long as I can keep 90% of the new material under one umbrella, I'll keep using Channels. My wife is much happier only having to deal with one system.

1 Like

I still have a few 7 inch floppies, and some music on 4 track, but nothing to play either.

I'm fortunate to have a pretty robust OTA setup, and I originally subscribed to ChannelsDVR as a (very successful) replacement of my TiVos. The TVE content has been a nice bonus, but not my primary focus. I'll likely stick with Channels as my OTA DVR because I have tried to use the Plex DVR several times and am not happy with the overall experience. If things really go south with the ATSC 3.0/DRM fiasco, and I can't watch any of this content, then I guess I'll find something else to do with my time.

1 Like

No, not full episodes, but I believe they do post most of the segments, kinda like Late Night with Seth Meyers. I don't DVR it because I can watch all of the Closer Look segments on YouTube, which are often posted before the episode airs.

TVE channels were a happy surprise for me, so if/when they go away I won't be leaving CDVR. I tried to go all OTA (plus streaming apps) but various problems keep me from pulling in all the OTA's I want in spite of spending a lot on antennae and related coaxial doodads.
So I'll hang on to my high-priced FiOS channels (with the mandatory cable box I never use) via a couple HDHR Primes until cost/benefit becomes (more) absurd.
Streamers seeing the apps as taking back the control they once had with PPV and encrypted cable/sat channels; plus they know exactly what YOU are watching and when and how often, which is what the current American retail economy seems to survive on. I don't see streaming going to get any easier. They'll keep baffling us with bundles that don't quite fit our needs and splitting up the content so getting everything you really want will cost big time. We may look back on "cable TV" as the good old days. I think the nets have noticed TVE doesn't move the market in their desired direction so are killing it.

2 Likes

I've switched to this method for the nightly network news and the late night shows. As a matter of fact, this reminds me to go delete the passes for those shows. :+1:

Just fyi, Gary said in the last pre-release that he won't be maintaining Stirr/Pluto going forward. Maybe Cabernet would be up your alley.

Removed PlutoTV and Stirr M3U/XMLTV programs; will not maintain
Release 1.8.2.8 · garyan2/epg123 · GitHub

Thanks so much for that ... I compared the outputs and the maddox docker is better... So I am using the docker.

So if I may ask how are you adding streamline or streamfab to Channels DVR as a source?

For on demand content, the only service that has an official source in Channels DVR is PlayOn Cloud.

All other services, such as AnyStream or StreamFab (I don't know streamline), you have to add their output folders to the corresponding Personal Media imports in Channels.

For example:

1 Like

Word is it will become a Playable version of Crysis where you don't need a supercomputer to play it.

IYKYK

2 Likes

Having done trials on PlayOn and Anystream, my opinion is PlayOn is very convenient and polished app. Its integration with Channels is also nice. Audio is another issue all together. 2ch stereo is it! And that was with using 3 credit 1080 mode. Downloads take hours.

Anystream is significantly faster downloading takes 2-5 minutes. Audio is DD. Expensive but lifetime subscription. At this moment I couldn’t get it to connect to Netflix but PlayOn does.

So I think PlayOn is fine for TV shows and old movies. Anystream is best for those blockbuster movies you want to enjoy the best video and DD audio.

Netflix changed something a few weeks ago. AnyStream has been working on fixing this since then. It could be days, months, or never before this is fixed.

I'm still using my $2.99/month PlayOn plan as backup.