Win10 DVR server keeping PC from sleeping

Hope this is the proper forum for issues like this. --just figured out weeks later I can move this thread to the proper forum. Sorry for the confusion!

Had been using Emby with zero server sleep issues, want to use Channels DVR for TV timeshifting and recording because it is superior. Box will not sleep since I installed the server. Uninstalled server and it sleeps just fine as previously.

If there is a thread to show me the proper log and information gathering needed for you to look at this please let me know.

Try this:

Yea, Have been for a few days now. If Channels is doing a task it will eventually end then the machine never sleeps.

Also, where are the wake-timers stored in task scheduler?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -waketimers
Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 12:07:10 AM on 12/23/2020.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 12:09:05 AM on 12/23/2020.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 12:58:19 PM on 12/22/2020.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 12:58:19 PM on 12/22/2020.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 9:14:29 AM on 12/23/2020.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 12:58:20 PM on 12/22/2020.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I rebooted and redid the -waketimers:

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 9:40:29 AM on 12/23/2020.

All the initial dupes were likely from the server software re-install I did a bit ago.

Tried everything in my bag of tricks for waketimer/sleep issues to no avail.

It sleeps just fine with ChannelsDVR uninstalled, I reinstalled, no sleep, changed it to run as a service, no sleep.

I shut the service off and the box went to sleep mode no problem after 20 minutes just as it was set in the Power Settings.

The entire time powercfg -requests looks like this:

I wonder if its related to being run as a service.

We use the following API to tell Windows when we're busy:

SetThreadExecutionState(ES_CONTINUOUS | ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED | ES_AWAYMODE_REQUIRED);

I would have expected that to make entries show up in your AWAYMODE or SYSTEM list above..

Does powercfg -requests show anything different while a recording is in progress?

It is supposed to work according to https://superuser.com/a/1576548/70490

A shot in the dark.
If TV or Movie Imports are enabled, the server does a background scan every 5 minuted for new media.
A Channels client may be doing something that requires communication with the server.

● I only tried it as a service today to see what happened, same behavior as a system tray app.

● During a recording it looks as expected (to me anyway):

DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe

AWAYMODE:
    [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
    None.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

● After the current network news recording is done I'll disconnect the LAN cable and see if it's a client. I had that happen with Emby coming from one oddball tablet but I could easily see that in the Emby Dashboard.

• is there a way to see this in Channels DVR?
  • Also, where are the wake timers stored for recordings?

Also as expected when the news recording ends:

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\comskip.exe

AWAYMODE:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\comskip.exe

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

Disconnected from the lan by unplugging the cable, no sleep. Shut off Bonjour and comskip via the setting page, that's about all I can think of left to test.

Still nothing from my tinkering, sent logs to the support email.

TIA

f1782bc3-28a3-4a3f-b642-63aee57faebf

(For testing purposes) This server records nothing but "NBC Nightly News With Lester Holt" at 630pm, and it's set to record both NFL games coming Sunday 1/24. Why all the waketimer entries for 628pm (the news) on the 20th? 955am seems to be the daily guide download.

Logs submitted, see above reference number. Thanks!

FROM THE LOG:
2021/01/20 09:29:12.841645 [DVR] Waiting 9h0m37.1583547s until next job 1611185390-2 NBC Nightly News With Lester Holt

PC DOESN'T SLEEP ALL AFTERNOON...

HOURS LATER AT 450PM:
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg -waketimers
Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 6:28:19 PM on 1/20/2021.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 9:55:29 AM on 1/21/2021.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 6:28:19 PM on 1/20/2021.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 6:28:18 PM on 1/20/2021.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\latest\channels-dvr.exe expires at 6:28:20 PM on 1/20/2021.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Also, it seems like a chatty network makes the box sleep then wake up off and on all day for no apparent reason, sometimes it enters sleep mode than wakes up 3-4 minutes later, no recordings set for hours or even a day. It does not behave this way unless I'm running the DVR server.

I turned off "allow device to wake computer" for the NIC and it seems to actually work as it should. Question, is there some way in the NIC settings to have it only react to magic packets from certain apps (my dvr)?

1 Like

If you can get more information about what kind of network traffic is causing this, that would be helpful.

AFAIK only WOL packets cause this behavior, and our app does not send WOL.

^^^ Tinkering with this in my spare time, will get back.

Last night after the NFL playoff games I switched to watching a movie on Amazon Prime on my Shield, the server PC began going off and on every few minutes. I went ahead and sent you via email the logs named b8428282-691d-401d-8912-6d8eacf411d1

Also grabbed the event viewer power stuff from the server machine (Win10 Home) and attached that to the email.

It appears I can reboot the server when this behavior happens to fix it temporarily, seems like either the Shield or possibly my main box may be sending packets to the server box?

TIA

Just recorded Gunsmoke on METV, goes to sleep at 5 after, then goes through this waking and sleeping thing every few minutes for a half-hour now. Come to think of it, that's how it happened last night after the games.

Shouldn't it simply run comskip and be done with it? Anyhow, now it appears it has something to do with processing recordings? Many times it stays on for a minute or 2 at most then goes off, then back on over and over.

Removed server from HTPC, installed on my new Ryzen box. Same deal. Issue seems to be right after recording, removing lan cable rules out a client causing it.

@jkr4m3r If the Win10 PC is running a DVR Server 24x7 then what is the advantage of having the PC go into a sleep mode?

Would the idea be different for a Win10 PC running without a screen or keyboard / mouse versus your situation?