Windows DVR not sleeping

Probably not the place to ask this but here goes: I’m running Channels DVR on my
Intel NUC…blows the doors off of my QNAP for load response & transcoding BTW…but
it appears that Channels DVR prevents the WIN 10 Pro from sleeping…is this a bug or a
feature??..maybe I’m spoiled ; in the great old days of WMC she could be sleeping and
woke up to record an event…

Sleep is preventing while the DVR is busy/in-use, but it should sleep when nothing is going on. It's possible this won't kick in if you have a browser window open with the DVR page, since that counts as "in-use".

There's experimental support for waking up automatically to make recordings, but you have to turn on the "wake timers" feature to "enabled'.

Note that even with wake timers enabled, the windows machine won't wake up automatically when you try to access it to watch recordings, for example via the Apple TV. This is better supported on macOS which has a built in bonjour sleep proxy.

Thanx for your quick response…digging more into this the Event Viewer told me that
the Intel USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller was the culprit…googling that one finds a
plethora of info related to sleep prevention…so I’m pretty sure it’s not a Channels DVR
issue…seems the Intel NUC’s are most susceptible to this altho before the last batch of
Intel driver updates my system was sleeping fine (but that was before I restarted
Channels…hence my suspicion that Channels was the culprit…now I believe it was the Intel
upgrade that occurred particularly the Gigabit LAN driver; right now I’ve turned off all
magic packet WOL’s and all other wols , removed my 3.0 USB SSD, and temporarily pointed Channels DVR to my internal SSD disk…I’ll get back to you when I’ve run more tests

1 Like

Nope…moved Channels DVR back to my QNAP and now I can put
my Win 10 server to sleep; the main reason I dropped EMBY was that it was
preventing my system from sleeping as well; I use the Intel NUC primarily as
my main Plex Server…thought for awhile it was the Intel LAN driver but I
updated that and it made no difference…

If you try to shut down the windows machine with the DVR running, does it show a special screen saying the DVR is busy and wants to keep the machine on?

Do you plan to wake up the NUC manually every time you want to watch something on iOS or Apple TV?

Looks like you can run powercfg -requests in an Administrator console to see what's keeping your machine from sleeping.

I tried on my machine and it didn't list anything. Then I started a DVR recording, and channels-dvr.exe showed up.

When I stopped the recording, the entry didn’t go away. So it looks like there’s a bug.

Yes…that screen is there telling me that Channels Dvr is busy…most of the day the NUC is on for plex,skype and any photto or video editing i might be doing…i also run Adobe Premier Pro on it; i thought I’d test Channels DVR on it to see how good the transcoding went and it worked phenomenally well (4X…most of the time); but I dont want it on 24/7; restarts and shutdown/fast boots take 10 to 12 seconds but if the system is powered down i cant remotely use Teamviewer soooo i need it to be able to sleep for wake on lan when im away…so for now Channels goes back to my Qnap which is a 24/7file server and media store for about. 12 tbs of data in 4 separate storage pools

Sounds good…you might have a zombie process latched in memory …glad you’ve isolated it; i should have tried that hrs ago instead of chasing driver issues i thought were keeping my nuc awake…hope it’s easy to fix…i really would like to move your dvr back to my nuc… Its an awesome platform for it albeit an expensive one…no onevwould throw the money i have in it just to run a dvr when you can get a Shield for $200 or so

The bug has been isolated and fixed. Thanks for reporting it!

A new build will be available shortly, I will let you know when.

Awesome…thanx

New pre-release is available. To upgrade, use a desktop browser, HOLD DOWN SHIFT, and click the “check for updates” button. It should upgrade to v2017.10.14.0149.

Ok…ill try tomorrow

Well I’m not sure if my separate topic question is relevant. I’ve moved the dvr to a Mac mini from a nas for the same reasons as you. But I’m still finding that the comp Is often missing recordings.

May be entirely different issue?[quote=“scubajwd, post:1, topic:2173, full:true”]
Probably not the place to ask this but here goes: I’m running Channels DVR on my
Intel NUC…blows the doors off of my QNAP for load response & transcoding BTW…but
it appears that Channels DVR prevents the WIN 10 Pro from sleeping…is this a bug or a
feature??..maybe I’m spoiled ; in the great old days of WMC she could be sleeping and
[/quote]

I’ve never had issues with missing recordings as my nuc has been on 24/7 for about a week while i test the dvr; channels devs have supplied me with a test build to see if my nuc will sleep with the dvr running in the background; if that works then maybe i will miss recordings if it does not wake up in time…they tell me that the mac enviroment is more conducive for waking up to do recodings than my pc environment…so I’d take the matter up with them in your mac thread that you opened

As usual. Have had a pretty immediate reply and fix from the developers. [quote=“scubajwd, post:1, topic:2173, full:true”]
[/quote]

Good news…MY NUC now goes into sleep mode with test build 0149 that you supplied AND…
wait for it…it appears that the system awoke for a scheduled recording…I’m making
more tests now but right now things are going well…BTW, How do I prevent my DVR
installation from auto-updating for the next day or so?

1 Like

How long before a recording event does the dvr wake up the system; i put my system to
sleep at 6:30 am PST and have a recording scheuled for 7am a 1/2 hr away..the system would
not stay asleep

1 Like

It won’t auto update until I release a new version, and the next version will include this fix.

It’s supposed to wake up 3 minutes before the recording starts.

See it you can get a list of wake timers somehow. The DVR also tries to wake up for maintenance tasks like downloading guide data, so that could be why it woke.