WSL Containers without Docker?

Apparently, Microsoft is getting close to having WSL work perfectly directly with Containers, and possibly skipping the need for Docker in a Windows environment.

From the article:

The most requested missing feature is Docker Compose-style support, and Microsoft says it's already working on it.

"Our aim is for wsl compose up to work with your existing compose.yaml files, unchanged," Microsoft said. "We've started on this and hope to share more soon."

Microsoft is also working on WSL's underlying networking and cross-OS file performance.

The company says WSL Containers can already deliver up to 2x faster performance when accessing Windows files from Linux environments.

Anyone try building a Container directly using WSL and have any feedback? Very curious how this goes without Docker in the middle.

@bnhf, this could also be interesting for WinUtil-for-Channels where it could directly deploy Containers without the user having to know or do anything with Docker themselves. Maybe have it do Portainer first, and then do all the regular OliveTin stuff through Portainer like now?

4 Likes

I don't have a Windows 11 system to even try this (nor do I want to due to the crazy memory hog that is WSL2) so I can't verify but I'm glad they're finally giving people more direct container support without the need or docker or podman

I can't wait to dump dd4win! I suppose it might make sense to wait for compose support..

I may fiddle with it on my laptop and see how much trouble I can get into. :smirk:

It'll be interesting to see where this goes, but at the moment there's no Docker Compose support, nor does Portainer work with it (no Docker compatible API).

1 Like