xTeve: Troubleshooting Install on Synology NAS

Hopefully putting this in the Playground is the right place. Trying to setup xTeve on my Synology NAS as I want to explore what I can do with that and Plex. OK, let's be completely honest....I like to tinker. :wink:

Unfortunately I've not found a single "follow these steps" for someone who has little Docker experience and no xTeve experience. I've successfully gotten xTeve loaded into the Docker using the GUI interface on my NAS. Whether I have it installed correctly is another story.

Next I tried to setup xTeve using the web address which I can access. I add the m3u link and then the Guide link, but then the webpage just shows a rotating orb and doesn't progress even after a few hours. When I refresh the webpage, I just get this "xTeVe is updating the database, please try again later.".

Any pointers on how I can trouble shoot? I wonder if I have issues with the "storage" for this particular Docker, but I'll see if there's any recommendation before I do a deep dive on that.

Shut down XTEVE ... When that happens, it is usually corrupt guide data in Channels DVR ... Delete and recreate the guide in Channels DVR wait until the guide data is fully downloaded... Start XTEVE.

If that does not work you might have to remove XTEVE Docker and recreate it.

Thanks, that worked. Now I'm hitting a wall with the guide setup within Plex. Can't figure out how to bring over my DVR guide, I don't see an option for entering it within Plex. I added within xTeve and looks like it took it there.

You cannot mix and match Plex Guide and XMLTV .. You have to delete the DVR in Plex and start over make sure you use XMLTV as guide data.

Make sure to use the m3u and xpeg url on top of your XTEVE web page ...

1 Like

Thanks. I think I have xTeve setup correctly, but when I try and add in Plex, I see no option to add the XMLTV link. Source is greyed out and locked in as cable. See screen shots:

Like I said You cannot use Plex Guide Data and XMLTV guide it has to be 1 or the other... Even i they are different sources.

I bet your Flex is using guide data from Plex not XMLTV.

Edwin, sorry I didn't explain myself well. I don't see how to point to the XMLTV when setting it up, Plex is progressing to trying to use it's own guide. I'm assuming either I am skipping a step or I setup something correctly?

Edit, I think I may have found the issue.

It is doing that because you already have a tuner setup using Plex Guide data.

Yup, I missed the link under the tuner initial screen that asked if I had an XMLTV guide. Playing with that now. Thanks again. Love the responsiveness of this group.

If you have time Iโ€™d like to see how you figured out how to get Xteve to run on docker. I currently am running Xteve on my pc and Iโ€™d like to be able to move everything to the synology.

Trial and error. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll share the links I used as well as steps to take. jay.simmons is the first part and then my @domain address is the same as a MS Office package that you use to check e-mail/calendars.

1 Like

SSH to Synology

docker run -it -d --name=xteve -p 34400:34400 --restart=always -v /volume1/Public/XTEVE:/home/xteve/conf dnsforge/xteve:latest

Or you can go that route. I did it via the Docker GUI. Wasn't sure if I setup the drive correctly (or if what I did had any real value) but it works so I didn't verify one way or the other. If I need to reinstall I'll try the ssh route.

1 Like

Going the GUI route is ok.

I was wondering if you could help me? I am trying to add xteve with GUI in docker. I have synology 920+

Will have to be this weekend as I've abandoned xTeve (was using it to port feeds over to Plex, but the trade offs weren't worth it). It was truly trial and error, and I've been away from it for several months and at my age, if I don't use it I lose it.

I was just wondering if you had screen shots of how you set it up in the synology Nas docker GUI environment? I got it installed but donโ€™t know what to put in for the paths etc. I put in up address and it does access it. Whenever you have time any help would be appreciated.

This is what I used to do the install on my 220+. I used the old task scheduler trick to do the install because I am not all that great with OS's other than Windows and never understood docker compose. So inside a task scheduled user defined script I ran a one time:

docker run -it -d \
  --name=xteve \
  --network=host \
  --restart on-failure:3 \
  -e PUID=1027 \
  -e PGID=100 \
  -e TZ=America/Chicago \
  -v /volume1/docker/xteve:/home/xteve/conf \
  dnsforge/xteve:latest

I don't have Docker anymore in name, since it became Container Manager with the latest version of DSM. But maybe these screen shots will help.

I got it to install but when I put my ip address and 34400 in, it just shows me this.

http://yourip:34400/web needs the /web