All Channels Apps Are Now Free for DVR Subscribers

I’ve been registered here since April 2016, and I had Channels while they were in beta hanging out in the silicondust forums before that. They shouldn’t disappoint.

1 Like

Paul:

I know of another user here who also paid for multiple apps last month. He and the devs worked closely together after that to nail down Closed Captioning…to his delight and that of many other users. He is totally satisfied with the new Channels offering.

The performance record of these two devs is utterly amazing. Give them a valid use case and they will work their hardest to incorporate. Their responsiveness to users is unsurpassed.

Two years ago, I wasted ~$50 for a one year Plex Pass…they only responded to one or two basic requests and then gave up…and to my knowledge these requests (like: address mpeg2 transcoding on clients vs server) are still outstanding over 1 year later, although many users have echoed those same requests. Additionally, they have ignored multiple other requests, again from many users. I almost fell for their discounted “lifetime” offer last year, thinking they would finally catch-up to the rest of the DVR solutions. What a joke…still the same problems.

Also, if for any reason you have to drop DVR service, you will still have the apps for TV viewing throughout your home…new users will not. One early user here sadly had to drop DVR service due to moving to a new area with only DRM cable channels (Channels doesn’t support DRM) or DTV Now, however, he was able to utilize Channels apps for his locals. He has since re-joined Channels as a DVR user based on the new offering HDHR Premium TV utilizing Channels (replacing DTV).

There is no DVR solution that I’ve tried (paid or free) that can compete with the functionality and ease of use of Channels.

Glad to have you as a new member of the A-team.

4 Likes

if I am a dvr subscriber, can I download the free app at my sisters house to use remotely?_

How does it detect that you have paid for the DVR Subscription? It worked fine for me, but wants to charge my Dad for the Android TV version of the app even though he also has the DVR Subscription active on his system.

What can we look at to determine why it doesn’t want to give the app to him for free?

There are two separate apps on the store: Channels and Channels DVR.

The “Channels DVR” app shows up as “incompatible” with any of my devices on Play Store. I’m pretty sure my SHIELD TV is compatible since I can install the “Channels — Live TV” app. I guess there’s something not right with the Play Store settings for the app. I’m in Germany and I’m aware that DVR itself is not really supported here, but that’s not the point, since I only wanted to use it so I could try the Android TV app before buying.

The DVR doesn’t work in Germany, so the app is not available there. Without a functional DVR setup you won’t be able to use the app, so unfortunately you won’t be able to use it as a way to try the app out right now.

Kind of unfortunate - I really just wanted to try before I buy. Any chance you could provide a direct APK download for the Android app’s DVR version? I’m aware that I won’t be able to use the DVR in Germany, but it’s still possible to set it up using a foreign ZIP code (resulting in false channel mapping of course) - but that would allow me to try out the Android app.

Kind of disappointed that I purchased the app for $15 the day AFTER you made the free one because you didn’t send out marketing on this until today.

Doubly disappointed that I purchased it to watch games while traveling away from home last weekend and it didn’t work the entire trip.

I love this idea but don’t know how to implement it. I have the beta version of Channels for my Android device but it says “$24.95” for the live version. How do I get the free version if I am a DVR subscriber?

Search the play store for the “Channels DVR” app.

Got it! That was the ticket! Thanks!

Never said the app wasn’t fabulous. The guys that created it are the best I have ever seen. Totally responsive. Great!

I love it so much I have converted 3 friends already. They are very happy and their version is free. Like you guys have indicated the SW is and was a great value with amazing performance and functionality… My only point was another case of early adopters paying the way for others to get it free. It’s no big deal at all but I still say it’s a bit unfair and I stand by that. Does not change my pleasure or satisfaction with the product.

A simple gesture to early adopters like a couple months of Guide service at no charge would be universally appreciated I am sure. If not, I don’t care. Very happy regardless

Glad to see another early adopter who accepts that the past is the past. As Channels DVR & Apps are so full featured…it is a small price to pay.

Your friends are excited and appreciate your recommendation, also in addition, remember, if for some reason (moving, etc.) you will still be able to utilize the paid Channels Apps without DVR.

Also, I consider my previous app purchases as an investment in the future viability of this product and support of these two devs. Well deserved, IMO, for the fantastic support and addition of new features as this product evolves.

Hope others, will also appreciate, their commitment to offering a spectular product…which is miles ahead of any other solution in the marketplace.

So i have a few quick questions…
I’ve been an early adopter of Channels app.
I bought the app for apple tv before DRV was even available.
After dvr beta became available i jumped right on it.
I just recently crossed over to the annual $80/year dvr service.
I’m now looking to buy a new Sony Bravia Android tv so I can hopefully not need another apple TV.

1. I know i’ll need to download Channels from the Android store…will it cost money though?
  2. Someone told me that I would have to pay separate money for DVR for Android though…that doesn’t seem right? Is this true? Will my $80 annual DVR service be good for both iOS apple tv and my soon to download android app?
  3. Will the android channels app play nice/immediately work with my already configured/setup DVR on my mac?
    Thanks in advance to all who can chime in!

In September I resubscribed to Channels and didn’t notice this announcement. In early September I paid $24 for Channels for Amazon and $24 for Android TV but now it’s free. Can I get refunded and take advantage of this offer? I don’t remember seeing this offer when I resubscribed to Channels TV but could be wrong.

You won’t need to pay for any Channels apps as a DVR subscriber. There are new apps on each store named “Channels DVR” and they are free. They are exactly the same as the paid apps but they only work if you’re a current DVR subscriber.

Your DVR will work with all of our apps on every platform.

Wow. I can’t believe how incredibly simple that was! Bought the Sony TV. Plugged power in and connected to WiFi. Went to the Play Store and downloaded Channels DVR and opened app. Didn’t have to configure/sign-in/setup anything with my existing account/DVR/server. It just found it and was ready to go! Just reaffirms, Channels is the best tv setup out there. Period. So happy with them.

5 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Cannot Remote login

I wish I had known about this before, literally, yesterday! Any way to get my $25 refunded? Liking Channels so far, but the price was a huge barrier to entry, though I took the plunge. This should really have been made more clear in the Amazon store.