ALPHA: Import TV local content into DVR

This one was fixed as part of 4.0

I tried setting up a link to my Plex media folder by mapping a drive to the appropriate folder on my NAS. The linked drive is not seen by Channels DVR and looking in Windows Explorer, the mapped drive shows up in Network Locations. This is on Server 2016. I see the same behavior on Windows 10 (mapped drive is under Network Locations). Any chance you can allow manual input of a network path so we can point directly to a NAS?

1 Like

Looks like UNC paths are supported in Windows, but must be added via the command line. They are looking at making the web UI allow this on Windows. For the full thread, see here:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply but I don't see any procedure to add a network path via command line in that thread. Is there a config file I can edit to add a UNC path?

Perhaps I am jumping the gun since this is Alpha. If not possible at this time, I guess I am making the suggestion that input of a UNC path be added to the Web UI. A UNC is much preferable over a mapped drive.

Sorry, I now realize the PowerShell commands were not in that thread. Here:

If you're more comfortable with cURL:

A new pre-release build is uploading now where you can enter an UNC path via the web UI.

1 Like

It works ....

2 Likes

I've added my network path to import TV Sources but no TV Shows are scanned. Windows opens the path when I enter \WDMyCloud\Thomas\TV Recordings. Does this work for TV Sources UNC locations?

2 Likes

Yes it works ... Mine worked but I do not have any spaces on my UNC path.... maybe the \TV Recordings is causing a problem ?

Well it's not working for me. I changed the folder name to TV and path is now \WDMyCloud\Thomas\TV. But the shows are not scanned. I even restarted the server. Must be missing something.

Look in your logs ....

Below is what I see in the Logs. But if I copy and paste the same path in Windows it opens the folder. So not sure about incorrect syntax.

2020/09/03 18:40:51.499909 [ERR] Failed to read directory \WDMyCloud\Thomas\TV: open \WDMyCloud\Thomas\TV: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

All I did was copy and paste the Folder ... by any chance are you running Channels DVR as a service ?

Yes the server is running as a Service.

Please submit diagnostics and maybe try // instead of \\

If you are using the System logon your service will not be able to see the UNC Paths. Either change the user on the service to regular user or do not run as a Service.

2 Likes
I used the \\ and they all worked. the // did not work ..

this what // gave me ...

2020/09/03 15:48:53.979762 [ERR] Scanner error walking //EDSYNOLOGY/Public/TVShows: Rel: can't make \\EDSYNOLOGY\Public\TVShows\Beauty and the Beast\Season 1\Beauty and the Beast - s01e01 - Once Upon A Time.mp4 relative to //EDSYNOLOGY/Public/TVShows

2020/09/03 15:49:44.380025 [ERR] Scanner error walking //EDSYNOLOGY/Public/TVShows: Rel: can't make \EDSYNOLOGY\Public\TVShows\Beauty and the Beast\Season 1\Beauty and the Beast - s01e01 - Once Upon A Time.mp4 relative to //EDSYNOLOGY/Public/TVShows

1 Like

Changing the Service logon credential to my Windows credential did the trick. Now the shows are scanning as expected. Thank you for your help!!

2 Likes

You welcome.

Will tryout this weekend. Have around 200 shows (not including one-off's, specials and documentaries) I can throw at it. I'm still massaging some old ones to get to my preferred layout of something like this;
./TV Shows/100 Days Wild (2020)/Season 01/100 Days Wild (2020) - S01E01 - Off Grid Under Pressure [2020-08-20].ts

I know some shows/episodes are not in TMS/gracenote/zap2it, or they have the show but not the episodes. Do you still want us to report those?