Atsc 3.0 resolution

I am new to atsc 3.0. I know there are several stations here in the Tampa FL but is anything being broadcast in 4k yet

To my knowledge, no.

And there won’t be for years. None of the networks even supply a 4K feed, not even 1080p. The bandwidth requirements, not to mention the complete rebuilding of the plant at each station to pass the a 4K feed is astronomically expensive. All feeds are 1080i or 720p. The lighthouse broadcaster in my city takes these feeds by IP from each of the participating station and “upscales” them to 1080p. So even that is not true 1080p, just a facsimile. The facility I work at was built as 720p in 1999 and we are slowly converting our entire plant from HD-SDI to IP.

2 Likes

So then there is no advantaged to going to 3.0 for a long time

2 Likes

Reception is much better.

2 Likes

No. 1080p content is roughly the same size/bandwidth of h.264/AVC as h.265/HEVC. It is only when you move to 4K that you see a benefit.

The real gain is for Dolby. They negotiated their new (and widely unsupported) audio codec AC4 as the default for ATSC3.

1 Like

Big advantage is getting a stable signal. 3.0 is much more forgiving of multipath and other issues that plague 1.0. So if you are in an area with a good but unstable 1.0 signal you would most likely not have an issue with 3.0. I live in the city surrounded by high rise buildings, lots of reflections and multiplath. I lose the 1.0 signals every morning when the sun hits the glass high rise across from me and it reflects onto my antenna and overwhelms the broadcast signal. Similar to a sun outage, but the 3.0 signal is rock solid at 100% all the time.

3 Likes

Yea, I forgot to mention that AC4 is a pain. I only get stereo audio from the 3.0 stations on my ATV 4K. Seems that apple is not on board yet being able to properly decode all 6 channels of sound.

I get 5.1 from my ATV 4k and marantz 5.1 receiver without issue on atsc 3.0. My receiver labels the input coming in as multichannel and then it decodes it as 5.2 surround. I compared it to the atsc 1.0 broadcast and it is identical.

Each ATSC3 market is transmitting audio in a different way. Some work perfectly while others are problematic.

2 Likes

Can we get a list of the markets with issues?

You can look for your area in this thread.

ATSC 3.0 Forum - Silicondust

Thanks. Seems like there are picture issues also. Still might bite since all my major networks seem to have it.

I am in Tampa also, and asked the same question in this thread -

I like the idea that reception is improved, even if it is not yet 4K. But someone in that thread said that locals are only broadcasting stereo rather than 5.1. If that is true, I don't know if it is worth upgrading...

Depends on the market. Stations in my area are in 5.1, but in a format that my ATV cant decode other than 2.0. People in other markets can get 5.1 from ATV.

That was me :grinning: Santa is bringing me a new soundbar for Christmas. Once that's up and running I'll check again and see what I get.

1 Like

@scottuf If you see Santa, please remind him that I have been good this year. And please let me know how it goes with the new soundbar!

2 Likes

I get both the Tampa and Orlando stations over the air. It was a major reception upgrade for me, the Stations are rock solid for reception now. I had a lot of pixelation and breakup before upgrading.
I have noticed on some NFL games on fox after watching for a while the video and sound get out of synch (audio is ahead of the picture) and I have to disconnect and reconnect to get back in synch.

1 Like

I removed the previous comment, because I am not using ATSC 3.0. So my excellent experience with NFL OTA on all channels is probably not relevant.

any one here in the Phoenix market, and can comment on how this is working as of 12-5-21? I just ordered the new tuner, and am curious as to how it has been for both 1.0 stuff. 3.0 stuff, and TVE?
thanks