Beta: Labels

The latest pre-release has added the ability to add your own custom labels to Movies and TV Shows. This gives you the ability to tag content with your own labels which then gives you the power to query with them.

For example, add the maddox label to a bunch of Movies, then use the simple query labels=maddox for a Virtual Channel, and voila, a channel full of movies just for @maddox.

With Labels, you should be able to create all kinds of strategies for your Library.

14 Likes

Would it be possible to have the option to include those labels in the UI? I would like to create a label with the iTunes profile name for my streamlinks so users will know what profile to switch to before selecting watch

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, but there’s no plans on showing labels in thr app like we show genres and tags.

Ok cheers

1 Like

I guess this feature is cut and dry :joy:

1 Like

Are these Labels useful for anything besides Virtual Channels?

Virtual channels are the only thing rigged with queries right now. But it won’t always be like that. :wink:

2 Likes

With v2021.09.02.2337 you can use labels to create smart TV and movies collections.

1 Like

Is there a way to apply a label to a specific episode (or to a few episodes) of a TV show? It seems I'm only able to apply them to whole series.

Labels only apply to movies and shows.

Version 2021.09.14.0427

I'm applying labels to my plethora of programs in preparation for Smart Rule Collection. Everything has been going well until I reached a program recorded from Pluto. Here, the labels refused to stick. I could select them, type new ones, etc..., but none would stay. I did notice the path for the program was different compared to other shows. For instance:

/admin/shows/pluto/61159e1a45d18e0015db3bc4 vs. /admin/shows/18671872

Submitted diagnostic 11fa3ce6-d85b-42c3-8cf6-6a0201f8a38e

Fixed in v2021.09.14.2014

2 Likes

Confirmed, thanks!

1 Like

Why are labels separate for TV Shows and Movies? I want to use the same labels I created for my TV Shows with Movies, but my Movie list is blank so I'd have to recreate all the same ones.

Also, this created a new bug. Some Movies think they are television episodes. For instance, "10 Buildings That Changed America" is a Movie and comes up as such, but the label selections are linked to TV Shows. However, I cannot select any label or create new ones (it just doesn't respond when doing so) since the engine thinks it is an "episode".

3 Likes

I believe this is because the Library cannot handle mixed content. The Library will display movies or shows, but not both. (Sometimes it would be nice to allow them to be mixed, such as allowing a movie that begat a spin-off TV series to be grouped together.)

Yeah, totally get that Shows and Movies (unfortunately) cannot be mixed, at least for the time being, so definitely not pushing anything down that path. But Labels are custom metadata, so I don't see why Movies and TV cannot share a JOIN to the same table to select/lookup them instead of having two tables that are doing the same thing. The database designer in me wants the efficiency!

You assume to know so much about our backend :wink:

3 Likes

Our backend isn’t a relational db and these results are being pulled from recordings and shows separately to get the sets to choose from.

This is just a presentation thing. We can fix this up so the same labels are offered for both content types. I’ll get that added in soon.

3 Likes