Beta: New and Improved On Later

Bummer

The latest DVR pre-release now has browsing views for specific channels. You can see the upcoming shows, specials, sport events, and movies for each channel. This is made possible by the work done on On Later.

You can get to these by clicking a network logo on pages in the web admin, like the grid guide.

This also works on tvOs/iOS. The channel cell in the grid guide is now focusable and selectable. Just choose the channel and browse the channel. You get there from On Now by using the hold gesture.

Now you can finally easily browse all those Hallmark movies :joy:.

12 Likes

My wife has banned Hallmark until after Thanksgiving. Fortunately I have my phone. Don't tell anyone.

1 Like

This is great but it broke a very useful “feature” that I always use, it will no longer go straight to the channel live by clicking the logo on iOS/iPadOS.

It saved lots of steps by eliminating the clicking of the show like below. It’s 3 to 4 clicks now.

3 Likes

I completely agree with @AeroR1.

I’ll replace it with a tap and hold. It was a shortcut anyways.

Also you can turn off the Play To functionality.

1 Like

No, that’s very useful for me too. I wish you would add the play to to tvOS on the swipe down menu next to quick guide and options!

Maybe we can change the tap-hold on the guide entry to have separate Watch and Play To options

But then it’s back to being too many interactions. Isn’t the point here one single interaction?

For me personally being selfish, if I tap the logo, I want it to go to the channel live. I don’t mind if I have to tap and hold to go to on now, or give the option of a choice for live and on now. But I would always want it to go to live by a single tap.

Maybe add a server side setting for choosing?

The flow now to watch tv live with pip enabled and in the bottom if that’s your preference is cumbersome.

Wow, almost exactly what I was looking for.
I currently run curl and jq to get upcoming shows/movies on a channel.
Is this feature missing any guide items for the channel?
Guess I could compare with my curl/jq script to find out.
I have a script that just lists show and movie names and another that lists movies and unique episodes for shows.

1 Like

This feature is money. LOVE IT!

1 Like

Does this mean it is not available with an Amazon Firestick 4k? If not, is it better for someone just beginning to use Channels to go with Apple TV? Thanks.

The Apple TV is the preferred platform. If that is an option for you, it should be your only choice.

2 Likes

As someone who actively uses both, the experience and speed on the Apple TV is significantly better.

3 Likes

I there any technological reason, On Later works with the Web interface, but library/channel collections don't? And to a lesser extent, virtual channels show up in the web guide but there is no option to play them. Thanks for the improved On Later, regardless...

We just haven’t done it yet. ¯(°_O)/¯

1 Like

@maddox any decision on this? this change is stopping me from upgrading and testing the new betas.

Hope it comes back.

thanks.

No.