BETA: New Android HDHomeRun network tuning system to try out

I've just released a new beta build with some improvements to the notifications.

Can you try it out and submit diagnostics if you have any issues so I can see what's going on?

Ok sure. the latest version it says i have is 104.16.2220 for my Living room Shield (i use the Carbon themed app on my main Shield)

Should i select Video Player for Diag option?

1 Like

Seems more consistent over all now.
Is working on HD channels now were before it was not.
Not seeing it show up right after i tune Antenna TV as of yet.

Though, it does seem a bit over sensitive/annoying still.
Even a super short 1sec cut of signal or symbol, (one click of my fan switch, not multiple) will trigger the banner.
I would like it to be tad less sensitive, or if possible, make its sensitivity user adjustable, low, med, high. the current sensitivity being High.

The other thing i notice, the banner often stays up for 15secs, too long, even for those super short glitches, and even times where the HDHR tech software reports the short cut, but there is no actual effect on the picture stream.
Sometimes the banner only shows for about 5 secs, but sometimes it is up much longer.

I did send some diags, just incase it helps.

Just submitted diags in the app just now.
Watching ION for a while, and it broke up several times, and no signal issue banner.

Thank you for your diagnostics and feedback on how it feels to have the alerts pop up.

I'm reviewing your diagnostics and we'll be discussing internally how we can balance the notifications better.

1 Like

PLEASE, PLEASE make this a debug option, or provide a way to disable it or just send the info to the DVR log. Whatever thresholds you come up with will not meet someones needs...and there is nothing more annoying than constant popups when I may already know I have a weak signal.
Amazon Recast has (had?) this problem and it drove people crazy.

2 Likes

Totally agree. all these settings are making my head spin ... pretty soon you will need a masters just to watch and record a show. Wish they would work on getting tuner sharing working properly since it is part of the core .. but i guess bells and whistles are more important.

OK I had my Rant. feeling better now.

Did something change with app version 104.17.51?

Now I am seeing also the buffer bar thing come up and stay up for a bit, when the signal breaks up on HD Channels only it seems.

They also are having a hard time recovering, and playing normally.
Stays in a state of video delayed and stuttering/stopping every 2 secs. Audio still plays fine.

Sent diags.

Nope — the only thing that changed was some extra debug logging.

Looking at your debug logs, it does appear the video was very corrupted, so I'm not surprised things were acting strange. There was definitely something odd that happened that caused the notification to not show but I haven't been able to figure out the cause from the logs.

Please let me know if you continue to have strange issues like this.

I made a screen record of the HDHR Tech stats..to show what happens to the signal metrics when i trigger interference. Just in case it helps any. And this is the state of the signal, as I mentioned above, that i notice the buffer banner come up, and the failure to recover properly.

1st trigger is the massager wand turned on and running. (Pretty much cuts everything thing.)
2nd trigger is me flipping the fan speed switch several times. (mainly cuts Symbol Quailty)

Haven't seen the banner come up once, so i guess that's a good thing.

1 Like

Ok, so the banner came up, and checking the signal yielded these numbers, if it's helpful at all.

That's great news. Did the alert feel helpful to you?

Oh, absolutely, I immediately logged into my HDHR, looked at the signal, took a screenshot, and came here to post it. Sure it was somewhat helpful, it wasn't annoying like others have said. Not sure I like seeing it in the first place though, might mean a trip into the attic is necessary.

3 Likes

Haha, yes, I understand those sorts of things. It's helpful to no but not something you wanted to be the case.

1 Like

I've released another beta for Android that fixes issue with playback of Live TV. The previous build was running into a stack overflow that was causing the app to crash.

As you start doing more with signal strength some sort of a antenna tuning utility would be fantastic! Maybe select a handful of channels you care about and have it run through average strength for each and then an overall signal strength. It would be even cooler if you could record some sort of position number for each test and then decide which position makes the most sense for your needs.

A post was split to a new topic: Frustration with HDHomeRun support

Can we enable this via the client setting option or do I have to manually set this for each device?

The configuration setting is only something we're using during this beta period. Once we are confident that there aren't any issues that make it worse than the default HDHR streamer, we'll flip everyone over to the new streamer.