BETA: New Home Page, Settings re-org, and On Boarding

:wave: Hey everybody.

We're rolling out some big changes with the organization of the web admin. We're cleaning house and trying to clean some things up for the future. It's a big change, so bear with us.

Settings

For almost 7 years, the home page of the web admin has been ALL OF THE SETTINGS for Channels DVR Server.

This stemmed from original development, as it was easier for us to get to all of the settings while working on the project. 7 years later and it never got re-organized.

Well today is the day. Today is the day we put our settings in the Settings section like....every other app in known existence :rofl:

Settings in Sections

Settings are now broken up into their own sections to make it a little easier to find them and be a bit less...overwhelming.

Client Settings now lives in Settings and has been removed from the main navigation.

You can find system information and the software updater under About.

Sources

You can now manage your sources, Live TV and Personal Media, all in a single place. You can find them now under Sources in Settings.

Home Page

So what will the home page show? We're mimicking the Library view in Channels to show a snapshot of your Library. It shows Up Next, Recently Updated Shows, and Recently Added Movies.

Onboarding

The other big change is our onboarding. We've tightened up and made it a bit more friendly when setting up Channels DVR Server for the first time.

If you have the time or means, please try working through it to see how it works and if there are any bugs with it.

OMG TOO MUCH CHANGE

We're totally empathetic with how much change this is. We understand that this means things that took no clicks to do, now take many more clicks.

We also understand that having the software updating and other system information, like activity, was very nice to have directly on the home page. Having them buried in Settings is not that great.

The good news is, none of this is final. While this IS the direction we'll be moving in, if you've been around a while then you'll know that this is going out unfinished to get some feedback.

We could brainstorm in private all day on how to solve the problems these changes are causing, but we'd rather include all of you.

Help!

So, we're looking for all feedback. What is great? What is horrible? What is completely ruined for you now?

We like to improve things based on reality, not just made up ideas. We think the best way to figure out solutions to big problems is to actually live with a little pain. This is the best way to learn exactly what needs solving, and to hopefully come up with creative ways to do so.

So let's do it together and we'll get everything nice and tight and feeling great.

10 Likes

One thing I noticed is the change in Source options for guide data. Looks messed up.
WAS
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 20-47-28 Channels Settings

IS NOW
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 20-45-59 Channels Settings

Not sure what Scan Network will do, so didn't click it!

Is your image from viewing from a browser? I ask, because mine doesn't look the same as yours. I don't seen an option for scan network for example.

Edit: Nevermind - I see they already correct it! Dang these guys are fast!

1 Like

By the way (to the Devs) - still playing around a bit with this myself. It will definitely take some getting used to, but I think I like it for the most part. I haven't hit anything yet to suggest improvements, but I will post if I do.

Whew I do not like when change it's there for seemingly change's sake... it's much harder to just pop in and see the status of my Channels DVR server at a glance. Please roll back the changes. I understand changes must be made, but not like this... many more clicks to get into things. I'm never just going to the web server to watch shows. I'm going for database maintenance, guide searches, and updating the software and sources - all of which were on one page before.

And yes, I just wanted to complain LOL

2 Likes

Good catch, it was a bug. Fixed in:

2 Likes

It shows on sources that use XMLTV guide data, like Pluto.

I like it but the about page should be the landing page, not general.

3 Likes

This is a great suggestion. Make the About screen the landing page. This is generally where I wanna go first when I'm going to the webpage, to update the server.

1 Like

I think you can bookmark any of the pages in your browser and it will open to that when you click the shortcut.

1 Like

I had browser bookmarks for my DVR's that were http://ip:port/admin/settings
I just changed them to http://ip:port/admin/settings/about

Yea I see that now but channels always redirected to /admin/settings so that's going to be the majority bookmark.

I'm sure they'll change it back (right after they add the scrolling timeline to the grid guide) :smirk:

1 Like

What's the curl command to load pre-release 2023.09.29.0327 instead of stable release for a new install?

curl -XPUT /updater/check/prerelease

1 Like

It was jarring at first, but after poking around a bit, I like it.

For now I just changed my bookmark to the “about” page (since that is what I tend to interact with most often) but I totally get how everyone’s priorities when visiting the webUI is different. So my suggestion is that we be able to “pin” our favorite sections to the home page too. Because if that would be implemented, I would pin the “about” section. I’m really only interested in the “Version” (for downloading releases and pre-releases) as well as “Activity” (for monitoring what’s going on, and various troubleshooting.)

I’d also pin “Sources - Personal Media” (for scanning local content, on demand) onto the home page, and be very happy with my most-frequently-accessed sections on one page. Like a customizable dashboard. The functionality I use most frequently when visiting the server.

And everyone else could customize their home pages too, by pinning their favorite sections as they see fit.

That being said, even without that, I appreciate this DVR improvement and look forward to seeing it evolve in the weeks ahead.

2 Likes

Great idea. Hope they can implement it.
I could care less about seeing what's on/coming up there.

1 Like

I did an On Boarding test while taking screen captures. Installed the Synology package, updated to v2023.09.29.0400, setup as a new DVR and added Xfinity TVE. I'll post in a new topic tomorrow. Took 57 minutes for the TVE channel scan and 31 channels failed to auth w/no login form found. Should place a note on the modal for adding a TVE provider that the verification scan may take an hour.

Seems "weird" that every other top-bar option is multi-faceted, and this one gets a jarring left-hand bar.

Would make more sense to pick one, and stick with it.