BETA: New Home Page, Settings re-org, and On Boarding

I'm sure they'll change it back (right after they add the scrolling timeline to the grid guide) :smirk:

1 Like

What's the curl command to load pre-release 2023.09.29.0327 instead of stable release for a new install?

curl -XPUT /updater/check/prerelease

1 Like

It was jarring at first, but after poking around a bit, I like it.

For now I just changed my bookmark to the “about” page (since that is what I tend to interact with most often) but I totally get how everyone’s priorities when visiting the webUI is different. So my suggestion is that we be able to “pin” our favorite sections to the home page too. Because if that would be implemented, I would pin the “about” section. I’m really only interested in the “Version” (for downloading releases and pre-releases) as well as “Activity” (for monitoring what’s going on, and various troubleshooting.)

I’d also pin “Sources - Personal Media” (for scanning local content, on demand) onto the home page, and be very happy with my most-frequently-accessed sections on one page. Like a customizable dashboard. The functionality I use most frequently when visiting the server.

And everyone else could customize their home pages too, by pinning their favorite sections as they see fit.

That being said, even without that, I appreciate this DVR improvement and look forward to seeing it evolve in the weeks ahead.

2 Likes

Great idea. Hope they can implement it.
I could care less about seeing what's on/coming up there.

1 Like

I did an On Boarding test while taking screen captures. Installed the Synology package, updated to v2023.09.29.0400, setup as a new DVR and added Xfinity TVE. I'll post in a new topic tomorrow. Took 57 minutes for the TVE channel scan and 31 channels failed to auth w/no login form found. Should place a note on the modal for adding a TVE provider that the verification scan may take an hour.

Seems "weird" that every other top-bar option is multi-faceted, and this one gets a jarring left-hand bar.

Would make more sense to pick one, and stick with it.

I personally would like to see the landing page be the about page. Some others have mentioned that already. If you combined the info on the about page and the general page, putting the about info first and then the general info afterwards it gives a very good simple overview. The rest of the hierarchy makes sense

2 Likes

Can you make the home page landing custimizable. I like the home page to load the guide.

2 Likes

That's exactly what I did.

As for the overall update, I like it well enough. I do think some of the wording could be changed on the client settings pages for clarity. First of all, where it says Clients Recently active client devices I would change it to Client Settings Change settings on individual client devices. Honestly some people might not even realize you can click on those boxes (even with the little gear icon). I have, multiple times in these forums, had to explain to someone that they can click those boxes and change settings there. And in the global settings area I would outright call it Global Client Settings These settings are forced on all client devices. Something like my demo graphic below suggests. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I think it might make things clearer, especially for those on-boarding people you are trying to make things clearer for.

3 Likes

I’m very change-averse but I actually like what you’ve done here, makes it much more organized. I just wish you’d figure out how to put the pass reordering back in the iOS app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Chrome corrupted error

Looks great. Looks more professional. One suggestion is to drop from the top navigation “trash” and put it on the side. The purpose for this is so the top navigation fits better so it looks better on my iPad browser :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I could live with just making "About," possibly renamed to "Status," as the default for Settings, in lieu of general, which isn't viewed or edited nearly as much.

I'm all for change. Just quickly reviewed the new layout. It looks great. If this is just web page coding, a suggestion that comes to mind would be to have clickable link buttons: one for Classic view and one for Default view.

1 Like

I noticed the Status of the DVR is all the way down in about can this be moved to the top and make it the default landings spot ... The most important things is what the DVR is currently doing be it recording watching . etc.

Just change bookmark to

[Channels | Settings](http://192.168.50.66:8089/admin/settings/about)

I Just changed by bookmark also to this. I can live with this.

Good idea. That's how it is now:

Sorry guys, time to change those bookmarks back :rofl:

3 Likes

"They love me, they really, really, love me!" :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, actually it'll be the next build, the wrong thing went out.