BETA: XMLTV support in DVR

XMLTV currently only works for Australian and NZ hdhomeruns as described in the first post. This is a beta feature which will be expanded in the future.

See discussion on Channels DVR + Xteve / Telly

I tried to put the program xmltv file in France

Here is the link :
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Catch-up-TV-and-More/xmltv/master/tv_guide_fr.xml

But no program loads this?
Here are the logs
2020/02/12 13: 13: 27.664497 [IDX] Pruned 0 expired groups from XMLTV-CUSTOM in 230.303µs.
2020/02/12 13: 13: 27.665244 [IDX] Pruned 0 expired airings from XMLTV-CUSTOM in 199.204µs.
2020/02/12 13: 13: 53.698215 [IDX] Pruned 0 expired groups from XMLTV-CUSTOM in 191.628µs.
2020/02/12 13: 13: 53.698932 [IDX] Pruned 0 expired airings from XMLTV-CUSTOM in 202.905µs.

Thanks for your help.

Excuse me, I just saw that the XMLTV Beta was only open in Australia.

You would need to click the pencil icon under your tuner and then map each channel to the correct guide data from the xmltv source

thank you for the indication, I have already done the channel mapping, I can see the channel logos but I don't have the programs in the guide, I tried to update the guide database, but still nothing.

Hello,

is what you think of developing XMLTV for other countries including France.

here is a link if you are interested.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Catch-up-TV-and-More/xmltv/master/tv_guide_fr.xml

Because I tried since the last update, I mapped the channels but it doesn't work.

Regards,

I would gladly participate from Poland. However, as I posted on another thread I got only xml data without lcn. The only tool for grabbing stuff from multiple sites/operators like Teleman was written in Python and because it was used in illegal way developer decided to stop working on it in 2015. on xmltv.org site the only tool is written in Perl :expressionless:

I would really like to create proper EPG data for Poland similar for this what Australian people did, could someone tell me from where can I grab the data with proper channel ids? I can do the rest.

Same here. for me it looks like developers hardcoded in the app countries that cannot be read by the server. Not other explanation came to my mind - XML is XML it should be parsed and loaded no matter the country. that's why xmltv exists, instead of Gracenote

Hi - I've been reading through the thread and just wanted to confirm, is there now a working solution for Australian customers using channels DVR?

I want to invest in a HDhomerun and channels setup for my appleTVs, but don't want to go through the expense if it's not working.

Any help/guidance appreciated!! Thanks!

Yes, it works with one of the guide sources listed above (HDHR, IceTV, etc).

I was doing some testing with this source earlier today and fixed a bunch of problems. It seems like every xmltv file is slightly different, and only the ones with explicit test coverage in our code are working reliably.

Unfortunately in the last few hours this xmltv file stopped working and now only returns a 404 error. When it comes back, you can try upgrading to the latest dvr pre-release to see if it works for you.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or what I'm doing wrong here... but I've added a provider via telly (shows up as a HDHR device) with a XMLTV link for the guide. Needless to say the guide is not very good, and Channels is missing shows because they all have a same description, and doesn't differentiate what is "new". Despite me changing the season pass to "All episodes" or even re-adding it, it still thinks I've already recorded the shows and misses them. When I try to remove the source and re-add it with a better guide, it automatically puts that same XML guide back and I can't change it. Is there a way to "reset" this?

Have you tried re-starting the DVR server between deleting a guide source and adding a new one?

Hi, in the telly configuration file, there is Device-Auth and Device-ID, if you change those, restart telly, and re-add in channels, than you can change the epg.xml settings ...
hope that helps ...

I have the problem that I can't schedule recordings, they always fail with the message, timeout awaiting response headers. I noticed if I switch channels it really takes a while until everything is resolved and the stream starts, but that is to be expected, since my source is my dish on the other side of earth ... is there a way to extend the timeout time to like a couple minutes? that would help I guess ...

I have not, but it to me it seems like it is cross referencing either the device or ip with an automatic setting. I'll give it a shot - thanks!

Thank you! I will try this! This seems like a logical answer and why it would be holding it to the device ID. While I appreciate having this feature, it seems like a possible oversite or a bug that it wont let you change the guide source.

1 Like

Now I am stuck with the same problem, my xml guide data is fine for me, yet it doesn’t give episode numbers, so once the first show aired was recorded, all subsequent episodes will not be recorded automatically, even if I set it to re-record all shows ... so for now I need to manually schedule all recordings ... is there an alternative option to manually create a pass for channel and times like every workday 8-9pm channel 7?

Are any other tags than <live> and <new> supported in the Channels guide for XMLTV files?
The XMLTV feed I'm using contains <audio> and <video> tags as well but I do not see their values appearing in the Channels guide.
As far as I can tell Channels do support at bunch of program tags from the OTA guide data. E.g. CC, DD 5.1, HDTV, Live, New, Premiere, Stereo, and more.

Here's a snippet of one of the programs in the XMLTV feed and below is an image of the tags appearing in Channels guide.

<video>
<aspect>16:9</aspect>
<colour>yes</colour>
<present>yes</present>
<quality>HDTV</quality>
</video>
<audio>
<present>yes</present>
<stereo>stereo</stereo>
</audio>
<new></new>
<live></live>

Screen-Shot

How do you go about changing the XMLTV guide source? There doesn't seem to be a way to edit it and every time I delete the tuner source and try to add it back it defaults to the first XMLTV source that was associated to it without any ability to modify. Thanks.

1 Like