I don't post much, so apologies for the length. It will be clear if you read this but my focus is live sports.
What streaming device are you using?
- 4 x Fire TV Stick 4K Max (all Ethernet connected). I also have 4 x Onn sticks, but the ADB connections weren't stable for me after a reboot - or at least that's what I think was happening. I gave up on them early and moved to the Fire Sticks which work well for me.
- Orivision EH1304 (4-port HDMI encoder)
I'll be adding more tuners and another encoder soon (WayPonDEV Link Pi ENC5-V2) to build out a second, more "generic streaming" solution with and maybe more YouTube TV tuners. Ideally I can use deep links to add custom sources with updated Channels guide data for the stragglers I want in Channels (Prime, Peacock). I'd like to add the ESPN app too, since it carries some feeds that aren't in YouTube TV and I have learned that the ESPN app doesn't play political commercials like YouTube TV does (constantly) which is a win in my household. I'm playing around with FruitDeepLinks and will maybe look at PrismCast but I have no firm ideas of what phase 2 will look like.
Why?
TVE worked well for me. It was a hassle when things stopped working or needed to be re-authenticated or re-scanned, but it was nice to be able to tune any number of sources and have someone else maintain it. Its mostly-dead state pushed me to the apps for a while, and that's when the problems became obvious.
All the usual streaming-app annoyances were there, but the breaking point was hitting skip-back after missing a play in a live game and getting a "disabled" message. I've seen pause not work in regional sports network apps, no way to record anything at all, and so on. If I tried to time-shift, I would still be forced to watch the commercials with some apps. That's the kind of control I'd rather not live with, so I set out to fix it.
What did you try before?
Mostly Chrome capture work. I also spent some time with EPlusTV and never got what I wanted. The software-only solutions weren't a fit for me, mostly due to fragility or missing functionality. I bounced around never finding much that would work for me and I avoided the encoder setup just given the investment and my lack of knowledge.
What makes it better?
It's consistent and stable. I can use tooling to pull the m3u streams, and in a worst case I can pick up a Fire Stick remote, open YouTube TV manually, and send that stream down to an encoder source. That works great.
What sucks about it?
- The infrastructure required to support it. I run a fairly extensive lab and network built around Proxmox, macOS, and Linux with a UniFi backbone. I enjoy that and I like the flexibility, and I also use it for learning since I work in the industry; the intersection of networking and video is genuinely interesting to me. But it's a lot to stand up.
- The fragility of the foundation. If ADB goes away on Android, or the YouTube TV deep links change, this fairly pricey investment becomes a lot less useful. That would be frustrating.
What middleware are you using?
2 instances of ADBTuner and a custom front-end to the tuners. I needed a second instance of ADBTuner to support my horrifically terrible regional sports network (RSN) provider's app which is not available in YouTube TV. I use a custom config for the RSN app and it works well actually. The custom font-end allows me to switch tuners 1-4 how I like and if I want the RSN app, I can reserve tuner 1 for it or all 4 can be used for YouTube TV on heavy football days.
The other stuff is just Channels API work - TeamID lookup, an easier college football recording interface that works great for my needs, and a basic Fire Stick remote web interface to control the Fire Sticks in case I am not home and something breaks. I can use my VPN to get in and fix things if necessary.
-
TV plan price: Not an issue for me. I'll always have a TV plan, though I don't watch news or the usual cable channels - it's really just the sports package I'm after.
-
How much maintenance is there? Is it set and forget? It's work to build, but it's been very stable since I finished. Not quite set-and-forget, but close. That said, I'd generally prefer to pay someone for what I want rather than build and maintain it myself.
-
How do you power all these at scale? With a $600+/mo electricity bill. (That's the whole lab, not just the tuners - but the lab is why the tuners are possible.)
-
How do you organize all of the physical objects? In a fugly rack.
-
How much do the devices cost? My rough investment for the Orivision encoder plus 4 Fire Sticks with Ethernet was $615. Add on the Kasa power strip, more switch ports, the Onn sticks I don't use, and I'm likely pushing $900 or so.
-
How fast is it from a channel change to a tuned channel? Not fast - but I don't care. I use Channels to set up a recording for any sporting event I want, so by the time I tune in, it's already recording and I can jump straight to live. Multi-view is nice too though I will say the switch from an encoder source to an OTA source comes with significant volume challenges.
Maintenance is a biggie, especially since this setup scales. If a device is finicky and you have to fix logins a lot, and you have FIVE of them, that's gonna be awful.
Answer: it's not great. I'd prefer not to do any of this, and if I'm being honest, I'll probably succumb to the streaming apps eventually. The first time I have that one bad day where everything breaks and all I want is to watch the game will be the day I very likely just give in. If you guys went full ElfHosted and hosted this as a service, I'd happily pay a monthly premium to get out of the business 