Can I use BBC Four HD iPlayer stream in Channels?

Hi, just to be clear I have no interest in using illegal streams or circumventing region restrictions. I live in the UK and my area's transmitter doesn't transmit BBC Four in HD, I wondered if anyone had found a way to get the freely available (with a valid TV Licence and BBC Account) HD stream from the iPlayer into Channels either via an m3u file or similar? I previously had this working with an HLS link I found online but I don't think it was a BBC provided link and it has since gone down. So I know in principle that it works with Channels but I wondered if there was a more legitimate or reliable method to get a legal stream into Channels. Thanks!

1 Like

Did you ever have any joy with this?

Not directly into the channel guide, but BBC iPlayer is supported by PlayOn Cloud, which has integration with Channels DVR:

2 Likes

These URL's appear to work when added as a custom channel source - https://gist.github.com/random-robbie/e56919b5603ecc87af885391e7331657?permalink_comment_id=3760920#gistcomment-3760920

can confirm, they work

I can't seem to get these to work as custom channels. Have the BBC changed things?

I'm also not about to get those m3u entries to work. Getting 403 Forbidden error. Does that error message mean they are DRM'd?

2 Likes

Yes. The content could also be geo-restricted to specific countries (which is a form of DRM too)

2 Likes

TiviMate user here, been pretty happy with it but looking into alternatives now. Heard some good things about Channels so I figured I pop over here.

Count me in as interested in iPlayer. I have a HDHomeRun on order but I don't know if my aerial will pick anything up to be honest. I did use that gisthub playlist for a while and it worked a treat, atleast until it went kaput.

Quick update before I hit the hay.. there's a chap in my tivimate facebook group that knows their way around all this stuff... I've asked 'em to take a look since I'm owed a favor.

Apparently they did something similar recently for a friend and think they should be able to make it work on gistlab pretty easily. A bit over my head but I'll let you all know what comes of it.

They apparently already got it working a few days ago after I mentioned it, and had posted it to tivimate reddit. I still need to figure out how to setup the virtual dock on my mac but here's what they sent me:

2 Likes

This is great - been looking for a way to get a HD film 4 source. The BBC streams don’t seem to work for me for some reason though, they work in VLC. Thanks for the link

2 Likes

Submit diagnostics after the playback issue and we can take a look at what's going wrong

2 Likes

ad2fba2c-c044-4254-af6d-fc9af304ce7c

Cheers

Hard to know exactly since I can't test myself, but it seems like the BBC source needs to be set to HLS in Custom Channels config

1 Like

Great - that worked. Cheers

What list of channels does this give you. Is it the just film source or BBC 1-4

1 Like

It’s the live streams from the apps listed on the developers page. Includes All4, UKTVPlay etc

Cheers! I finally got it working as well.

At first I copied the instructions from the reddit post and kept getting 404 errors. But I realized that was a different link for PBS not BBC.

I requested ITV support, hoping that will be possible..

1 Like

hi. my english trouble. rogger tell me here. i add new docker version ITV