Change client autoskip behavior per channel, per show or temporary while viewing recording

1. Please put back the ability to reorder passes on the iOS app that was removed for some reason.
  2. It would be nice if I could set the commercial skipping behavior on a per show or per channel basis instead of just globally. On some channels autoskip works great but on others it skips too early so I’d like to be able to just set those to press a button to skip. I realize I can edit the commercial breaks but I don’t want to have to do that every time especially when watching a show that is still recording.

Thanks!

You can turn commercial indexing off per show. Once you have one in your library, you can go to the Show’s options and turn it off.

Oh no I don’t want to turn off the detection. I just want to be able to control how they are skipped per show. Maybe right under that option you could put a skip method choice in there too.

2 Likes

It's not just a show, it's also per channel. There's lots of channels where you don't want comskip to run like PBS HBO etc.

tmm1Channels Developer

Feb '21

I didn't get a chance to add a UI for this today, but the API backend is there in the next prerelease.

For example, if channel 1009 is PBS:

curl -XPUT http://x.x.x.x:8089/comskip/ignore/channel/1009

Yeah that needs to be in the web GUI for a channel, it's a basic comskip thing that no one should need curl for.

I think y’all are missing the point of what I’m requesting. I don’t want the commercial detection turned off on any channel. I’d just like to be able to control the skip behavior on a per channel or show basis. I’d like the global setting to be “auto skip” but would like to be able to set specific channels or shows to “skip button” or “manually” in the GUI.

3 Likes

I like this idea. It might be asking for too much, but it would also be nice to change it while watching, and not just in advance per show. For example, a user could make the default be "auto skip," but if the user finds a particular show/channel isn't finding the commercials very well, it could be changed to show the skip button for that show.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with the two posts above. When auto-comskip nails it, it's great -- feels magical -- best software ever! But when it misses the mark it's certainly annoying, and feature refinements like this would minimize the annoyance factor, quite a bit.

Big agreement on #2. I would settle for the ability to temporarily change the autoskip setting from the options menu while watching a recording.

Not upvoting the suggestion because the OP combined two completely unrelated suggestions in a single post and used a non-descriptive title.

Not missing the point, just asking for per channel behavior too since you brought up the general issue that comskip is not content configurable.

Piling on in other words. ; )

Fixed now :grin: vote away!

If I were a Channels developer, I might have some trepidation over adding an autoskip setting on a per-channel or per-show basis. It might generate quite a few support requests from folks who change the setting, forget about it, and then complain that autoskip isn't working for some programs.

A temporary change from the options menu while watching something seems relatively safe.

Show based commercial skip style has been added to tvOS and iOS:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for this change.

This is exactly why we didn’t want to do it :joy:

But I did it anyways ¯(°_o)/¯ RIP our support inbox.

Auto reply with a FAQ link.

I just got home and tried to find it on the TVOS client and I didn’t see it. Checked for a new version of the app but it says I’m up to date. Of course I did upgrade the server. What do I need to do to make this show up and is there a way you can also put it on the “manage season pass” screen? Thanks.

You have to use the beta version of the app.

Thanks. I got it working on ATV. Is there any way to add this to the pass options? Apparently (unless I’m missing something) I can’t get to show options unless I already have one recorded. This goes back to what I’ve mentioned before about things being so segmented in Channels. It would be great if all options could be reached from anywhere in the app. I really appreciate you adding this option though.