Channel video feed quitting after 1-2 minutes

Hi, I’m having an issue with watching HD TV (UK Freeview) where the video feed struggles momentarily and then quits. The Channels app then shows an error message saying there is no HD Homerun Tuner Detected and then appears to reset the menu. I can barely watch 1-2 minutes before this happens. I’ve tested using the Silicon Dust HD Homerun app and I’m not seeing any issues with streaming video. I’m also seeing a mismatch between the channels scanned and those appearing in the guide, for instance I run a scan within the Channels App which then shows the Channel 4 + 1 channel has been found, but then this channel doesn’t appear in the guide or On Now.
I’m using a HD Homerun Connect (2 tuners) and a Fire TV 4k with a wired usb adapter.

any ideas? Thanks in advance

So the HDHR app on the same FireTV works?

As far as channels, you can run the scan yourself on your tuner directly (via my.hdhomerun.com), and then refresh that into the app by going to Tuner Settings page, selecting your HDHR and clicking the menu button to select Refresh Device.

HDHR on the same device seems to stream live TV in HD fine, I’ve also seen crashes when playing back HD recordings within Channels that Direct play happily in Plex on the same Fire TV.
Refreshing the device in app doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’m seeing BBC One HD as a channel with no channel icon and no guide data. As well as Channel 4 +1 HD appearing in the manage channels list in the tuner menu but not in the guide.

Does 4+1HD show up in the “SD” or “All” filters?

I’m looking through crash logs here and not seeing any player crashes, which is strange. I did just upload v1.0.7 for review (usually takes about 8 hours), which has some fixes which might help here.

I see the same crash/reset begaviour on my FTV3 which I have mentioned elsewhere. It happens so regularly I cant use it. The FTV2 is rock solid but of course it cant deinterlace.

4+1 HD appears in the HD list on the tuner menu, but doesn’t appear in the guide or on now.

just to add a bit more detail if it helps in finding the issue:
I’ve persistently seen 100% on signal strength and around 85% on quality when checking the HDHR device.
I’m running the DVR app beta version: 2018.03.12.0501 on a QNAP 251+
When I attempt to play any HD recording from the DVR it either crashes immediately after the first frame or two try to play or at least within 5 seconds of playing. I can sometimes watch live tv for a few minutes before it crashes but this seems to vary from channel to channel.
I’ve been able to watch back multiple SD recordings with no stability problems and i’ve sent a few diagnostic reports through the app.

I was able to load up a UK recording here and reproduce the crash. I’ve uploaded v1.0.8 to Amazon and Google with a fix.

I’ve updated to 1.0.8 and stability certainly looks improved. But I’m still seeing a crash with a HD recording from BBC 1 HD. A HD recording that originally crashed on 1.0.7 now plays correctly, but you can see a minor glitch in the video at the point where it used to crash.
Tuning is also taking about 5-6 seconds, so is there any possibility it’s related to network bandwidth? The HDHomerun is connected via ethernet right to the router, and the QNAP is connected to a gigabit port on the router too.

1 Like

I’ve tried it too on 1.0.8 and the stability is better. Still some pixellation artefact after tuning but settles down after a second. Doesn’t happen the FTV2 or ATV. Tuning is a bit slow but okay.

Gutted that Sev Zero can’t be played on the FTV3!! It’s one of my kids favourites when they use the Air Support companion app on the Fire Tablet.

1 Like

Can you share this recording with me, by uploading to google drive or similar?

I’ve uploaded it to Google drive and I’ve sent you a link in a PM.

Thanks for the sample.

I’ve released v1.0.10 which should fix the crashes. I’m still seeing some pixelation when first tuning in, but after that it seems stable.

1 Like

I’ve played a few recordings and some live HD streams and it’s looking much more stable now. Nicely done!

1 Like

Great!! Thanks for your assistance and patience while we figured out these UK specific issues.

And thank you for being so quick to respond and help, it’s really appreciated!

1 Like