Channels 4.0 Beta

Any chance of seeing the ability to import TV show recordings from another source in this release? Thanks!

1 Like

iPadOS excessive feature request :smile:: I use a keyboard case which has hardware keys for skip forward and skip back. I’d love to have those mapped to skip forward 30 seconds and skip back 7 seconds, like the virtual buttons. Not sure if that can be done, but throwing that out there. Currently they don’t provide much utility, as if I skip forward it will jump to the beginning of the next content following a commercial.

You can do this with the arrow keys like all other video apps. All the normal keys do the expected behavior. This was added a few months ago.

I would suspect that the media keys would use the media library doing the same things that the lock screen does, so it would work automatically. Kinda weird. Maybe it’s because they trigger Next Track and we don’t implement that because it doesn’t make sense for Channels.

Must be that they trigger a next track, resulting in the mega skip. Guess I’ll keep using the arrow keys. Thanks.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Troubleshooting network issue

New build out:

• New: PIN Auth flow for tvOS for connecting remotely

We're super excited about this one. Gone are the days of entering a foreign URL into your phone to authenticate. Now you can get Channels working remotely super fast!

Screenshot

19 Likes

@maddox have you had a chance to review my logs for all of the issues I've been having? I'm getting a stuttering on recording playbacks and live tv daily. I don't know if its my 918+, or a combo of the beta with the 918+ and beta on the appletv's....just curious where I should go from here.

I'll take a look at that soon. We're not in quality phase quite yet.

I uninstalled the beta DVR on my Synology and put the stable version back. I'll report back if I see any improvement on video performance.

Regarding the authorization, very nice. Thank you.

@maddox I haven't tried the new beta builds yet, I've been hesitant to move to the beta DVR (which I believe is required) since everything has been running smoothly on the non-beta.

Does the new remote auth method still work with custom ports? I have spoken to @tmm1 in the past about adding a native option for changing the default port, I'm not sure if any of the hard coded 8089 has been changed but if you would consider making that an option for the DVR it would be greatly appreciated.

This will not work with custom ports as there’s no opportunity to hack the url as was done before. That was a shameful hack anyways.

We’re working on letting you set custom ports.

1 Like

Just noticed that the “Kids Section” on Apple TV only includes movies in the recently watched section. But my kids mainly watch tv shows on the app. That means the first screen isn’t super useful until I scroll down to the bottom to get to the shows. Now I know the poster sizing is different for both but just saying for my use case the recently watched on top isn’t very helpful. Would be nice to just remove that section all together and sort like the normal library does with the “up next” up top.

Are there plans to offer the simplified UI for the Kids section? Similar to how the Movies and Recorded TV section offer just the basic list of shows when opening? I’m a huge fan of the simplified layout by the way!

On the same note... are there any plans to change the guide to look more like the Android TV UI? I would love to have the categories hidden to allow more screen real estate for the guide. Maybe an option to hide them?

Still loving the beta too! Tons of great changes and it’s been very reliable!

1 Like

New to Beta testing Today.

I just noticed that after watching a TV Show I can not find a DELETE option anywhere I also have an Android TV with the released version on it and it shows up fine.

I also tried the Release Version on the Apple TV and still the same issue.

Please let me know if I am missing something or I disable something or it is something that has not made it to this release.

Thanks

It’s under the More button

@tmm1 @maddox Just a note that this bug is still around. I wanted to make sure it made your bug tracker. Since this only happens on Up Next I figure it is indeed a bug.

Yep, noted from last time. We will get to it when the bug squashing phase begins.

1 Like

Are there any plans to add a channel preview feature to the guide while browsing?

No, tuning that fast would be too much for the tuners. The time to tune wouldn’t be fast enough for the experience to be great anyways.