Channels Carbon Theme

eh? what do you mean. none of it is gone.
Are you saying you deleted all your past work locally and can not reproduce any of it?

All I am saying is that i liked your color scheme you have been using until the latest update apparently.

ChannelsCarbonBeta102.7.6 is the apk i am using.
Can't you just open that up and get what you need from that version apk?

You'll have to provide me a link, that's how much is gone yes. New beginnings require fresh thinking. In fact, no, those old files are useless to me that's why they're gone.

Go pick out some colors and hit me up with the hex codes and what you want the stuff to be, and I'll take a change the colors and see how it looks.

I don't know how to get the colors hexes from the installed app on my Shield though.
If i could run the app on PC where one can use a tool like that like to pick colors from images or the desktop screen....but there is no way to do that,.
And my monitor will have skewed values since it has its own color/bright/contrast settings tweaked.

here is the apk file I am using: LINK

I suggest you can install that version on your test device and use a color picker or decomplie the apk whatever it is you do, and get the values that way. or just try to match it by eye. idk.

If that does not help you, then...i was not intending to have to detail out every single color code to make a "custom" version. That is more time and effort than i have to give at the moment. Like I said, the previous look is what I would want. But, I am fine using the aforementioned apk version for the foreseeable future.

Not sure how advanced a programmer you are or if it as simple as just changing preset global or local variables in the apk files....
But perhaps, you could make a program of your own, a app tweaker that would make it so that a user could just select the colors they want for each GUI aspect of the app, u input it the apk file and it makes the modded apk file.
Maybe its not that simple. Idk. just thinking aloud.
It has bene a long time since i have dealt with code, back in the COBOL and plain C days of code.

Well man, if you want me to do certain colors, you could at least pick them out for me. Did you even click the link?

Just pick some colors and say I want this the bg, and this the guide, and this the buttons, come on man.
Use your phone. It seems to better work for picking colors.

Would taking screenshots of the app then using a color picker in a photo editor app on the files work? I may be able to do that at some point.

Phone is bad idea since it is OLED and had enhanced colors and i would think would pull a differnt hex color code than when it is shown on a ips or lcd panel.

Edit. Looking at the link, the grey colors there under Material Dark Theme Colors look close.

1 Like

What was wrong with the pink theme?!

I took screenshots of the app, and used the color picker in Paint. net to get the values.
Hopefully that is what you are needing?
I have put the screenshots and a .txt doc with the values in a shared folder.

LINK

And, nothing wrong with the "pink" theme. although, it is very very red looking to me.

That's EXACTLY what I needed, however at the very same time I saw your response I was uploading this:
Carbon

Using it now. Might be the new version.

@speedingcheetah
Try this one:
Carbon2
I had to fix the box in the submenus, it was too dark.

2 Likes

lolz. yea that looks right. pretty sure it is near identical to the carbon version i am using, just missing the transparent tweaks to the quick guide and bottom seek bar thing.

o. u now have a 2nd ver as i type this. ok. takes me couple min to uplaod to my CCGTV I use to do these testing of the apps, since my shield is in use by a family memeber for a while .

That's next on the list. As transparent as possible, just enough to see it, white text.

And I'm thinking of making the current playing block in the guide black, but that's a layout change, not a color.

1 Like

but, the upcoming blocks (i call them cells, cause they are like the cells in a Excel spreadsheet) are already black, so would those change colors to something else then?

not sure what u mean by sub menu was too dark, i am not seeing anything differnt in the 2nd version u just posted. what menu are u referring to?

Also, added a few more screen shots i forgot to take of some of the other pages in the app.

My bad. When you go and click a future show in the guide and the menu comes up, those buttons were to dark with the new background. And since that color is also tied to the currently playing block in the guide, a layout change is needed to turn those black, it would be so that the entire guide us black. I've never liked that different color block of it's what's on. Bleh. I'll fix that.

Personally, I don't mind having the current airing block show as a different color or shade rather. it differentiates present vs future and makes it easy to know when you are back to current live time, other wise im looking at future guide data. but, its not an issue for it to not be different. The On Now page services as a better thing to see what is active airing.

Channels Guide is lacking with navigation ability for future or next days etc. I much prefer the look and navigation that the Emby guide does.....but that is a different topic..lol.

Edit: i do see in the older apk version that u do have it so that the current air block is in fact not a different color. does make the page look much more slick looking, I had not noticed that detail until u just pointed it out. Like i said, does not really matter to me, it just does remove one minor functionality thing, sorta.

I'll leave it then I suppose, it's what the devs intended, and I don't have to do extra stuff. So just the transparent thing? Any other issues, things, requests from this massive user base? Kinda seems like just a few of us... Lmao

Link added to OP. Both version are available.

1 Like

Mostly Apple users here i think....who....do not understand the concept of having customization options or wanting something different that what is given to them.
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I'm always been impressed with their build quality, that's about all I'll give them positive.

1 Like

yea. Apple have good hardware quality ...i would know. Since it is my job to service and refurbish macbooks from 2007 to 2018 models at my work. Damn crazy the amount of aluminum and metal parts they use, compared to most windows laptops. Far better built computers imo, just, way over priced and extremely annoying proprietary parts and connectors everywhere. But their 10yr old laptops still run good, and sell for crazy $ online still. Its mindboggling....but gets me a good paycheck :joy:

I use a 15in and a 13in MBP 2017 touchbar as my primary laptops now, and MacOS for work things, but use Win10 via boot camp for home use. And have been spending lots of time in Mac OS lately....its feels like a more functional version of Chrome OS....lolz!

I have yet to get my hands on a Apple TV to see how Channels is on that platform, but unless i get one free or dirt cheap, not gonna happen.

And i never intend to give up Android phone or Android TV.

Anyway, sorry to sway off topic.

And thanks for the awesome work on the theme for Channels.

1 Like

@speedingcheetah

I use both an Apple TV 4K and Nvidia pro as clients, I’d say stick with Android as a client platform if you have no compelling reason to switch.

I may try the Carbon or Pink theme soon on the Shield because my family has trouble with the subdued purple hues in the UI of the official distribution.

Plus to me, the Shield gives a crisper image on playback of over the air recordings than the Apple does, but this is just my subjective opinion. I can’t tell a difference in quality for TVE recordings between the two clients but with OTA I can see a difference.

1 Like