Check for FOX 4K Stream when recording an OTA broadcast?

I love how there's an option to stream or record the 4K broadcast when the DVR can find that option, however it doesn't seem to work when the event is offered OTA. Let me explain the scenario:

If I schedule a recording of an event on FS1 that is also offered in 4K, Channels will find the 4K stream and record that. If I schedule a recording of an event on my local FOX (via HDHR) that is also offered in 4K, Channels will not look for the 4K stream and will only record the OTA broadcast.

Is there a way to get Channels to check for a 4K stream of the same event, even if it's an OTA recording? Or perhaps a way to "record both"?

Thanks so much for considering, and sorry if this is available and I don't know how to enable it.

Channels will select whichever source is set as higher priority. In my case it selects my HDHomerun Flex (ch. 13) above my HDHomerun Prime (ch. 1498).

To fix this on an individual basis, go to your schedule, edit the event, and select the channel you want it to tape the event from, in my case that's channel 1498 but for you the channel will most likely be in the 6000s.

I appreciate your response, but that doesn't address the situation or setup at hand.

For those of us that access FS1/FS2 using the TVE integration, the Channels DVR shows it's recording the HD (720p) "Channel" (6197/6198 in this case). However, on the Settings screen, there is an option to have Channels choose the 4K stream, if one is available.

Last night the DVR recorded both World Cup games on FS1 (channel 6197), but automatically selected to the 4K stream. It still shows in Library/TV Shows as having recorded 6197, the HD channel, despite being the 4K feed. There is no 4K channel in the TVE lineup.

My question is, can Channels also look for a 4K option when my only Fox choice is my OTA station? Or, alternatively, can Channels pull in a separate 4K lineup?

Maybe this thread belongs in the Feature Request section.

What makes you think your local fox ota is broadcasting 4k ota? While some of the web based is 4k I don’t think any stations are broadcasting 4k ota.

They're not. However, Fox offers a 4K stream of several events that are broadcast on the network, such as every World Cup match, most college football games, most MLB games, and select NFL games.

So, if Channels can check for a 4K stream of something that's on FS1 or FS2, why can't it check for a 4K stream of something that's on Fox?

The two ways to record FOX games in 4K are to have an HDHRPrime or to have local networks enabled via TVE. My original comment assumed you had the later option enabled.

Has a Channels developer previously answered that question?

Even though I can't access Fox via TVE, I can use the Fox Sports app, authenticate using YTTV credentials (which is what Channels has), and access TVE streams of FS1, FS2, sports events on the Fox network, and a 4K stream of those events, if offered. Which is why I would think, if the DVR can check for a 4K stream of cable channel events, it should be able to check for a 4K stream of a network event, using the credentials it already has.

Have you tried enabling local networks? That's the way to check.

1 Like

I'll give it a go tonight. If this works, I'm sending you a Starbucks gift card as a thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I'm remembering correctly Channels wasn't able to get FOX broadcasts that stream in 4K integrated into Channels the same way that the FS1 broadcasts do. I believe there is info on those efforts in this thread...

I think it was working with the EPlustv docker container (I could be mis-remembering) if you enable foxsports authorization. More info here...

I've enabled TVE for broadcast networks and I now have a 6000 channel for Fox that only lists the sporting events, which is exactly what I want :slight_smile: When I stream the channel during "Sign off", a stream comes up that says something like "this is only for sporting events check back later", which I'd expect.

However, during the actual events, I receive an error that the stream cannot be accessed. It's only happened in the overnights. Next time it happens, I'll grab the error and submit logs.

Fox is channel 6002.
Update your DVR to latest pre-release DVR Pre-Release Notes - Beta Community / DVR Beta - Channels Community

6 posts were split to a new topic: Fox TVE 6002 not working

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fox TVE 6002 not working

Running latest pre release. Getting a 404 error. Affiliate is WVUE.

1 Like

Mine was working yesterday, today I'm also getting a 404. Fickle Fox.

Are you seeing the same thing I am when authenticating on their website?

Yes. And just like you, it's only 6002 / Fox network. No issues with FS1/FS2.

So my local Fox (WOFL) is kind of weird too, the world cup records in 720p but the length of the broadcast is shown as anywhere from 45 to 50 minutes. When you play it back it actually plays the full length (it goes past the end of the timeline bar), but running fix timestamps does not correct the length. This is the only Fox broadcast that I can recall that has an invalid length.

I also do not get 4K on this and I do have it checked, this is via TVE. Channel 6002.

Same here. FS1 is badass no issues at all and gets 4K if it's broadcast in 4K. Would love the same with Fox

Enable the Experimental TV Everywhere MPEG-TS Rewriter option