Clock on Channels DVR GUI?

And wrapping first-to-last, last-to-first when scrolling thru the guide....

1 Like

I would agree both of you regarding desirable features but the lack of a clock is what my wife and kids complain about most. I love all the great features, including commercial skipping but at some point I'm going to get tired of hearing, "why can't we have a normal DVR instead of your cheap!@# system."

1 Like

And for me...it just would have saved a headache of troubleshooting of why my recording were being cut off. Just a simple clock.

I gave up hoping for this one and put a clock above every TV.

I have a watch and a cell phone on me... I don't need it to tell me what time it is. I need it to see what time Channels DVR THINKS it is...so I know if it is going to do my DVR recordings correctly. If the clock on my server is 5 minutes fast, I have no way of knowing until I log onto my server... and then find out all my recordings have been cut off by 2-5 minutes. So...putting a clock by the TV wouldn't fix this issue.

Okeedokee.

I'm running the tvOS client and the current time is also displayed when I'm watching anything live, and I bring up the timeline with the remote:

Unfortunately the same is not displayed when I bring up the timeline playing any recorded content:

If the Channels client could display the current time the info banner (of any playing content,) as well as more specifically in the Guide, that would be ideal. A user preference to enable or disable it would keep everyone happy. :slight_smile:

That's only if you are actually live with the broadcast. If you are behind, the time in the progress indicator is the point in time that is on the screen, not the current time. In your posted screenshot, if I were to press pause for 10 minutes, and then view the progress timeline, it would still display "8:52", not "9:02". The fact that the current position often reflects the current time is a happy accident, not a substitute for a clock. (Also, this doesn't help when you are viewing any other screen/page in the Channels UI.)

Ah yes, that’s true and makes sense. A consistent way to see the current time, somewhere in the Channels UI, would be nice indeed. The Guide makes the most sense, and perhaps in the Info banner of anything that’s currently playing.

1 Like

This would be super helpful!

At least once a week for the last year we've been using Channels, I get asked the 'WHEN' question by the Boss...

I'm not entirely sure why there isn't a clock? One would have to assume this would be an easy win, for a lot of people?

I think it is because the Channels DEVs hate clocks. That's the only logical explanation. It reminds them of how much time they spend working on things :slight_smile:

For all the clock feature requests, I don't recall seeing a response on if/when it is something they are going to implement.

All I know is someone in our house is always asking what time it is. It never fails, my phone is in the deepest regions of my pocket and held in with superglue at that point. It sure would be nice to have a clock in Channels.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Check out this clock!

I love channels for all it does and it's certainly the best out there, but unless the Devs want it, it won't be done.

Why is there a Tesla integration, unsupported kodi plugin, PlutoTV docker container or any of the other random 'hacks'?

Why isn't there a clock on the guide, Chromecast abilities, feature parody in 4.0, a color scheme that you can actually read or any other 'community requests'?

:man_shrugging:t2::grimacing:

Lots of mixing apples and oranges in one post...

Is it possible the software just doesn't know what time it is?

On my Android TV Boxes, I use Floating Clock

Does Floating Clock have a keyboard shortcut to toggle on/off?

Floating clock I guess might be an option but a legitimate question should be asked is why end users need to work around the developers on a issue which isn't a niche request?

2 Likes