Clock on Channels DVR GUI?

Without the ability to toggle off/on with a remote like my Harmony hub, I can't consider it an option, but I still like your post. You bring up a good question that should be answered.

New to channels coming from TiVo and the first thing my wife asked me is where the clock was in the guide. Weā€™ve loved everything about the dvr including the GUI and the guide but the lack of a clock is the one annoyance weā€™ve experienced.

1 Like

Guess you have to consider where the clock is being displayed and where it comes from.
For a DVR environment the clock used for recording is on the server.
For a Client it depends on if there's a DVR or not.

I've never seen a reply from the devs as to why this isn't implemented.
Don't know if it's just extremely difficult to implement or they just have no need for it.

Definitely would be nice as I'm always checking the clock on other things while using Channels DVR to see what time it is. Same with Yesterday, Today, Tuesday, etc. displays (would like to see date instead, maybe just me?).

I've been asked this once a week, at least, for the 13-14 months we've been using Channels - drives me up the wall.

In my living room, there is already a Lenovo smart clock in the tv stand...that suits those users fine.

In Channels, would be nice to have a static clock when viewing the guide, even though you can see the general time based on the guide block cells for current airing.

You also do have the time displayed on the live GUI seek bar when watching a program, as long as you stay live, it is accurate clock, and the seek bar is start time end time, so you can see what timeframe you are in that way too. But, would be nice to nice to have a static clock shoved in there, or perhaps in the quick quick top tool bar....but idk.

This is a poor indicator. The timeline's beginning is the 30-minute period that includes the beginning of the current live buffer, and the timeline's end is the next 30-minute time on the clock. The timeline is completely separate from the current program; instead it is wholly dependent upon the current live TV buffer. When the TV has been on the same channel and you have a large buffer, the "seek bar" is essentially useless.

Like i said, as long as u stay live , it shows the current time.
works fine for me ...though, i dont look at my tv/monitor to see the time, never had that habit, i look at my phone or computer since it is nearest me...or, just ask my Google Home.
Even back when we had a crappy Comcast cable box, it had a clock somewhere in the banner/UI it used, but the GUI of the thing was so bad, or, the box itself LEDS only showed time when box is off, we still used a stand alone clock next to the tv, for over 2 decades...so yea, maybe we are just not geared to use the tv it self to see the time.

EDIT: o. there is also a clock in the upper right of the screen, on the app home screen of the Shield, I frequently am on that screen, changing apps, so I guess that works fine for me, (or press the mic button on the remote and ask the time, and it speaks and shows the time while in any app) but, for those who only stay on Channels app, a static clock would be a welcome thing. But....I don't see them adding that. Pretty clear they have no intentions of doing so....

I have come around to wanting a clock on the onscreen display . All my other APPs have it this is the only one lacking it. HdHomeRun SageTV Emby and others all have a clock on the on screen display. Heck even the the screensaver has one. Heck even the guide should have a line through it indicating how far you are into a show,

Agreed. I wasn't saying the clock shouldn't be thereā€”it should, on every screen.

I was instead saying that the current implementation of the timeline when viewing live TV leaves much to be desired, and cannot be used as a clock practically.

What exactly seems to be the problem here with implementing a clock?

This is almost as unreasonable as Silicon Dust refusing to implement a grid guide. :joy:

Is Channels a subject to some secret arrangement? :thinking:

1 Like

Six months since someone posted. I suppose the entire community has given up on getting a clock.

The missing CLOCK is not a good subject in my house as it is a constant complaint from rest of the family. Why developers refuse to add this is a mystery as its been requested by a lot of people and I've read lots of sort of silly excuses and dumb work arounds. For anyone that doesn't want a clock, make it toggle on/off.

If they let us know what time it is. I might relize it's past bed time. Then turn off the TV. They don't want us to turn off channels

1 Like

Even my FireTV ScreenSaver has a clock. Channels is the only one missing a clock on the onscreen display and that sucks. Guess they want to be different.

Time to call in the usual suspects? :rofl:

At this point itā€™s almost become a running joke. Iā€™ve been using Channels for years now and it was a requested feature when I first started as well. I donā€™t think the Devs have expressed opposition to it, I just donā€™t think itā€™s ever gotten to the top of the list for them. Others can correct me if my memory is wrong. :grinning:

I would agree. Does TiVo or others have some patent on video displaying and a clock being overlaid on it? Thatā€™s the only reason I could imagine for sidestepping this request?

I don't know. I find the non-stop release of new capabilities of the product that addresses discovering/recording/watching/managing content significantly more important than a clock. The number of new features related to the core functionality of the product has been impressive. Getting a clock on the screen would be rather "meh" compared to what has been delivered over the past year. Just my opinion.

And I canā€™t disagree with that.

I think myself and others see this as an ā€œeasy winā€ that would satisfy a lot of people. Itā€™s been upvoted by many people and has been requested for years. I certainly donā€™t want to sound ungrateful for all the many, many other great features pushed out. I just hope they can find time for a feature that loads of users have requested.

I t shouldn't be one or the other with something like a clock. It should be standard.