DVR server not working after Shield 9.0.0 update

I would recommend you install hotfix3 because many bugs have been fixed.

Has hot fix 3 resolved most issues with the server crashing? I'm quite surprised that they haven't released a formal patch yet.

On the Nvidia forum they state: "Do not ask when they will put out a stable patch." I am waiting too, I am a bit nervous about adding the hotfix, there appears to many issues with it like Disney+ and other issues and I have enough problems already.

Hot Fix 3 does not fix the server crashing issue.

I do see that there is a Channels DVR Pre-Release version 2022.02.02.0112 available now. @tmm1 is this supposed to fix the issue, or do we still have to hope the next NVIDIA hotfix does it?

It's in nvidia's court

They have reproduced the issue atleast

I upgraded to v9. Had all the problems discussed in this thread. Was warned that NVIDIA moves slowly and wouldn't have a fix for months. So I decided there was nothing to loose by reverting to v8.2.3. After a little struggle I succeeded in bringing my Shield back to v8.2.3 and I haven't had a problem since.

I did my reversion from a Windows 10 PC. The most difficult part of the process was learning that the USB driver for adb is different from the USB driver for fastboot. I used the driver from NVIDIA to run adb and the driver from Google for fastboot. In my case I also had to update the development environment and fix some other USB related problems. The results made the process worthwhile.

Thanks to @john9527 who got me going with this post:
`

john9527DVR User

13d

If you have access to a USB keyboard to plug in the Shield and another system to run adb/fastboot via USB, it took me about 15 min to reflash back to the 8.2.3 release on my Shield TV Pro. (You do need to sign up as an Nvidia developer to get access to the image).
https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload

Of course you will be setting up afterwards just like a factory reset. Reapply Google updates and reinstall apps.

Couldn’t be more disappointed in Nvidia at the moment, and I have no desire to mess around reverting the software so am in the process of moving a everything I can off of the shield (Channels DVR, Plex etc) with a view to getting rid of it ASAP. I swear they don’t do any testing whatsoever on software updates and just rely on the public finding problems.

Any recommendations for decent Plex client solutions that can handle 4K and all audio formats will be gratefully received!

Coming up on a month now with channels totally broken :unamused:

Unfortunately as far as I know, Nvidia still doesn't know why these issues are happening or how to fix it. But they were able to reproduce the issue finally and are investigating.

Strangely my test SHIELD has not crashed in over a week since I upgraded to hotfix3.

To alleviate the crashing, I have switched the DVR to the internal storage and added the external as a second path. Haven't crashed since making this change.

very nice how much internal storage (stock or adaptive drive?)

It's a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb setup as adopted storage. DVR server stored on the 16gb internal, and the app stored on the 500gb adopted storage.

1 Like

I assume at this point in time it is still not safe to let the Shield update? I am still at pre 9.0.0

Kind of depends. Do you use an external storage as your DVR? If so I wouldn't. Are you willing to install the hotfixes? If not, I wouldn't.

Definitely don’t update. I moved my dvr server to the internal storage, my device thankfully doesn’t lock up anymore but it’s still problematic sometimes after a couple hours. Still kinda waiting but most likely have to try a factory reset soon or do the downgrade

Nvidia is testing a fix this weekend. If it goes well I expect hotfix4 next week.

1 Like

Glad to hear some progress finally - is this external storage bug specifically targeted?

Yes they are testing a fix for the storage issue.

9.0.1 was released today, but doesn't include the storage fix.

I'm hearing that will be included in 9.0.1+ hotfix2

1 Like

Do you know if you have to signup for the hotfix program again after 9.0.1 was released?