ESPN+ & FOX Sports with Custom Channels via EPlusTV

Incorrect guide data. I've had several in the past. When I get one, I'll check the ESPN+ app and find it's not live or I'm blacked out.
A good example was last weeks Masters - it would be in guide from 6:00 am but nobody teeing off till mid morning. After tee off, it played fine.

@m0ngr31 Have you had a chance to look at the VLC-Bridge approach that @miibeez has developed for a few other sites? I know it works well for the DRM PBS feeds. Would be awesome if this approach could work for Bally Sports. May be needed for Peacock as well, I suspect all of their feeds are DRM, I know they were on your road map.

2 Likes

I would love to see a template developed so we can develop the standard VLC bridges for stuff like Sling, Philo, and just about anything else we can bring to Channels.
If Stremium can do it we can do it better. We already do it better.

1 Like

I'm not seeing how they are bypassing DRM with the VLC bridge?

Does anyone have MLS Season Pass login I can borrow to figure out if that's something I can add?

1 Like

Okay, looking at the PBS and UK containers I can see that there is a compiled executable in there that looks to play the original feed and rebroadcast it or something. It's using widevine library I'm guessing that's ripped out of ChromeOS (and why they aren't publishing their code for these two projects).

That's just my guess. I'm sure @miibeez could clarify for us.

The issue with this solution for E+ is that I'm guessing Google doesn't like rehosting the widevine.so files, and on top of that getting those working on x64 and ARM CPUs is kinda a crapshoot.

Thanks for the look

Appreciate the report.
Very interesting indeed.

Is this something that could be done on any number of streaming services or would only work on certain ones depending how they have things set up?

Maybe there is hope to have a docker image per streaming service containing live channels aslong as there is a developer willing to put the time into recreating what miibeez has done?

At least there’s some hope. We have some amazingly talented developers in the Channels community…

2 Likes

@miibeez has stated a few times that the "vlc bridge" doesn't handle DRM. Am I missing something that has lead people to believe that it is a workaround for Widevine L1?

From my understanding the PBS feeds are DRM yet the docker is able to play them.

The docker is doing some magic with a widevine so lib.

I was under the impression the PBS feeds are both DRM’ed as well as geo-restricted, is that not the case?

1 Like

Not really finding them geo restricted, fwiw, following along here.

Ah OK, yeah, I was thinking about LocalBTV, that service does require you to be in their service area, and the Docker respects that:

Hello, I have everything working except for the MLB channels, I have a mlbtv account and my credentials are correct can you please look into fixing this error. In the logs it says invalid credentials. Thanks the app is awesome.

Double-check your login details. I'm using the docker with MLB, and it is working great.
I like how it works with my VPN.

It's possible you might have to escape your credentials if you are using special characters or something, depending on how you are starting the container.

disregard everything is working, the channels I was having trouble with are blacked out in my region, is it possible that you can show that when you press on the channel that it shows it is blackedout instead of giving a error of not being able to play the channel thanks.

1 Like