Experimental: Local Networks (NBC, ABC, FOX) in some major metros via TVE

The box is still there. Check all the way at the bottom under Experimental.

I thought we couldn't use TVE on the Shield devices.

You can't use YouTube TV logins for TVE on the Shield. All others are supported, as far as I know.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I may move over to a different provider if that's the case.

I did check there, numerous times. I did get it to show up though, after moving my DVR server files over to a USB drive, doing a restore and then updating to the latest beta fw. After that, it was there ready to be checked and used.

Thanks @racameron!!!

For anyone viewing this topic,
PBS was added Sep 3, 2020 link here
CBS was added Sep 21, 2020 link here

1 Like

I set this up the other day, and it worked fine. But the next day, without me making any changes, the guide reverted to showing the OTA locals from my HDHR, and not the TVE versions. I still have the "Local Networks via TVE" box checked, and I still have the TVE source set to higher priority.

Make sure you are not just showing favorites ... and make sure on the clients the TVE source is higher priority.

1 Like

I've noticed an odd thing with guide labels for ABC. In SoCal/LA, when this feature was originally released, the TVE ABC network call sign was listed as ABCSTR in the guide, causing it to remain separate/unmerged with local OTA KABC-DT. Recently, I noticed that the TVE ABC was finally identifying itself correctly as KABCDT, to match the OTA guide.

However, I noticed today that after upgrading to a new pre-release, the TVE ABC is back to differently identifying itself. However, instead of ABCSTR, it is now showing up as KABCSTR. Is this a change in how the local is identifying itself when scanning for TVE locals, or was there some other change made that might be affecting this?

Sounds like the guide data mapping is swapping back and forth monthly when the cache expires, due to multiple entries with similar names in the GN database. Can you submit diagnostics and I'll look up the proper one and hardcode for KABC.

Sure. And it's not really a big deal, just mostly a cosmetic thing. I'd fix it myself by either editing the OTA/Locast guide to match the TVE, but TVE sources are not available for guide matching; I'd edit the TVE guide to match OTA/Locast, but you can't edit the guide matching for TVE sources. (I suppose I could try sending a PATCH request to the TVE endpoint and see if that does anything ...)

Here are the diag logs after a fresh database download/recreation, following by a reboot: 89145d87-c9ba-4dc4-b89f-8c774cabb32e

Is there any way to disable the deduplication in the guide between OTA locals and TVE locals? Right now the guide, at least on Android TV, will remove some (but not all) of the channels from whichever source I set as secondary. I'd like to have both show up so I can toggle between sources; I prefer OTA for some live TV as there's much less of a delay, but if my antenna is acting up I'd like to be able to easily get to the backup stream without having to adjust source priority.

1 Like

No. And I don't believe it is going to change.

I would like this as well. I have LOCAST and CBS stopped streaming video (only audio). Normally LOCAST works good with all the other channels so that is Primary. My wife then had a problem with AT&T TV App which is her normal Plan B. So, I remembered the access to CBS on TVE and manually switched my wife's tv over to it and it worked great until LOCAST fixed the issue and went back. Would have been nice to have easier access to the backup channel. Maybe I can teach my wife to make the change herself? LOL.

i've been asking for this since becoming a subscriber last year...doesn't seem like it's a high priority issue. that being said, if you're on android tv you can still input the channel number to tune the TVE locals, even though they don't show up in the guide. that's what i do, especially when watching sports as the TVE streams are usually 60fps while locast is only 30fps.

i have my TVE locals mapped to 100+number for ease of remembering (i.e. since ABC is ch 7, TVE ABC is 107 / FOX is 11, TVE FOX is 111 / NBC is 4, TVE NBC is 104).

Yeah, I would like to see this as, at least, an option. For those that do not want more granular control, they can set as it is now. I agree there are times I would prefer one source over another, but with the current configuration, it is difficult to align all the time.

1 Like

How did you map your TVE channels to the 100’s?

1 Like
1 Like

@tmm1 - I have build 2020.12.10.1836 - but can't find where to enable this feature.

I did test that I have access to the channels (for example, I checked nbc.com/live

How do I enable this in Channels?
Help?

Settings > Experimental > Local Networks via TV Everywhere

It will only appear after a TV Everywhere source has been added, and the DVR server restarted.