Frndly TV for Channels

I can't see CatchHD in my possible mappings so I still have Catchy Comedy mapped to Decades (from cable). Do you know if there's anything I can do to see CatchHD as a mapping option?

Mine shows up under the Current Lineup option as CATCHCD. If you search, it is case sensitive.

Great! - It showed up when I switched to Search All Lineups.

Edit:
It doesn't stick though, so perhaps it takes a while to actually become set.

If you use the two source method you don't have to do anything. The gracenote stationid is already in the source-1 m3u.

If it's messed up using the two source method, reload the M3U's and recreate the guide database by doing these steps.
Source-1 :gear: dropdown > Reload M3U
Source-2 :gear: dropdown > Reload M3U
Guide Database > Maintenance :gear: dropdown > Delete and Recreate Database

1 Like

What is meant by "the two source method"? I thought I was already doing that in having Frndly 1 (HD) and a Frndly 2 (SD) sources.

I wonder if I messed something up by mapping Catchy Comedy Banner to Decades during MattHuisman's initial update, because as far as I can tell it's the same guide schedule so I wonder if it's captured some kind of position by having some passes tied to it.

Most of the time when I try to change it's mapping it seems to hang until I back out of the attempt.

I guess I'll try to delete the database and rebuild it after the Final Four games are over.

Two sources (playlists)

If you run the docker container, looking at its url shows this so you can copy/paste into your custom channel settings

Channels Source 1

Stream Format: HLS
Refresh: Daily
Source URL: http://192.168.1.3:8183/playlist.m3u8?gracenote=include
XMLTV Data URL: (Leave Blank)

Channels Source 2

Stream Format: HLS
Refresh: Daily
Source URL: http://192.168.1.3:8183/playlist.m3u8?gracenote=exclude
XMLTV Data URL: http://192.168.1.3:8183/epg.xml?gracenote=exclude

Not sure why these two channels are showing up. Anyone else notice them?
frndly-58 ZHallmark movies now
frndly-59 Generic Banner
I've been ignoring them, thinking they'll go away.

Neither of them are listed in https://i.mjh.nz/frndly_tv/app.json
But they both appear in the playlist.m3u and epg.xml
The guide entries for both channels say "Program@xx:xx" and they don't stream, just error out with
M3U: Could not fetch playlist: .../play/58.m3u8: 500 Internal Server Error
M3U: Could not fetch playlist: .../play/59.m3u8: 500 Internal Server Error

I'm guessing that the channels may be related to the on demand channels that Frndly recently added. On the Frndly app, there's a "Frndly on Demand" and "Hallmark Movies Now". Those channels link to menus which catalog on demand content. If I'm not mistaken, the Hallmark Movies Now is a paid add-on to the service. Frndly on Demand says "Free with your Subscription".

You're most likely correct.
Since Channels DVR can't stream VOD, I just hid those channels in source-2

Yup. That's what I did. For on-demand content which I'd like to have in my permanent collection, I bought credits for PlayOn Cloud. You can record from several different on demand sources and automatically import to Channels. PlayOn doesn't currently support Frndly since it has been all live channels, but maybe they will consider adding now that Frndly has on demand content.

1 Like

just pushed new container that will ignore these "Banner channels" :slight_smile:

Thanks, Matt! :smiley:

Thank you Matt. Pulled the latest docker image and they're gone.

Do the "Classic" and "Premium" plans differ in regards to Channels integration when it comes to simultaneous streams (2 and 4 respectively) assuming the login isn't used on any other device?

Actually, the way this docker implementation works, simultaneous streams only affect the Frndly apps. This implementation does end up allowing you to have as many Channels streams as you want. So it is up to you on the “honor system” to implement stream limits in the custom channels settings under options.

The other difference between classic and premium is the length of time for saved DVR recording, which is a moot point if you are using Channels as your only DVR.

Hi there,
What about picture quality?
if you have their least expensive plan does the change in picture quality change on channels?

If my memory is correct, this docker implementation only pulls the HD streams. So once again, it is the "honor system". Yes, you would get the HD streams even with the basic plan... but it then becomes an issue of "right and wrong" which is a whole other can of worms. Technically, if you are on the most basic plan and really want to remain as close to TOS as you can, you really shouldn't be using this docker implementation at all since you are paying Frndly only for SD streams.

Hi there,
Thanks for clearing that up.
I'm staying on the classic plan.
the option to pay annually provides the best option.

2 Likes

Hey Everyone - I am noticing a program discrepancy in channel 9885 for me..The Dove Channel. It is airing The Lucy Show…but the guide in Channels says a movie called The Mulligan. What is interesting is I went to the friendly website and it is showing Lucy just like I would expect, but the Dove channel website is actually playing The Mulligan Movie. Does anyone know how I can get the guide data to be what the Friendly Dove Channel is airing? Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks!

1 Like

My guide (for frndly Dove channel) says the Lucy show is airing and it is on that frndly channel.
Are you using the frndly two source method?
Channels DVR TVE channel 6756 says The Mulligan (2022) is airing and it is on that channel.