Frndly TV for Channels

Here's what I use for the custom channel setup.
The XMLTV guide data isn't needed as the playlist contains the station id's for guide mapping.
You should get 16 days of guide data that refreshes every morning between 9 and 11am.

I'll give that a try. I only had a few channels populate guide data after it parsed the information. I tried to the the guide data blank and it had a weird error and wouldn't play nice and let me re add the custom channel. So I deleted the whole thing from docker and reinstalled it and now the server is hung up trying to add the custom channel again. Still not pulling any guide data.

crash

Two things.
Make sure the only docker container running for frndlyTV is at port 8183.
Delete your custom source and add again using a different name than you used previously and my settings (except for IP of course).

For some reason when you edit a custom channel source, things from the original creation stick around and aren't actually changed when you edit. I find it best to delete it and re-create it using a slightly different name.

Just not your day today, huh?

It was a rough trip to get to the finish line. I appreciate your assistance. Chances are our back and forth on the forum will help others out as well. But it looks like we have success. I greatly appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

2 Likes

Aww… I missed all the fun. Well it looks like you got it.

Concerning those four ”special” channels (Dove , Curiosity, Dove Kids and Dove family) that are a pain with the guide. They don’t have gracenotes so they are not covered by the Channels built in .EPG.

In case anyone is curious on how to tidy that issue up a little bit. My setup I actually use 2 Frndly sources. One called Frndly exactly like @chDVRuser uses in their screen shot (except I block those four special channels). No .EPG specified. It’s important you do not add an XMLTV guide link. And do not bother trying to manually map those four channels from manage lineup, the data will be wrong.

Then I have a second source called FrndlyHard2Get with “http://192.168.1.241:8183/playlist.m3u8?include=frndly-38,frndly-49,frndly-16,frndly-50” and I use the docker provided epg.xml. In my case http://192.168.1.241:8183/EPG.xml. Note that using include will exclude everything else. You may also have to go into manage lineup manually map each channel.

Then I combine those two sources into a channel collection containing both sources. The “special” channels will at least have show titles and times but do not have descriptions. But at least you can set individual recordings on those channels.

1 Like

Good point.
You could also do it this way, and if frndly channel id's change, channels are dropped or added or gracenote station id's are found you wont have to change your settings.

1 Like

Oh awesome. I must have missed that back in the 100s.

Anyone else having problems with Frndly TV starting on yesterday? Things were a little wonky yesterday with channels and guide info, and then this morning not a single Frndly TV channel is accessible. I have made no changes to my setup at all. Only thing I can see is maybe there was something in the latest server update that broke it, as the only change in the system was the ChannelsDVR server software updated recently. This had been running rock solid since setup a few months ago.

Chief

Hi there,
Looks like Frndly TV went down.
The streams are slowly coming back up. Looks like a network backbone error. Services not related to FRNDLY are being affected.

1 Like

Yeah it looks like it’s down for me too. The Frndly Apple TV app is also down for me. And the Frndly live TV website is all screwed up. And so is the Frndly iOS app on iPad. So this is not an issue with @matthuisman FrndlyTV-for-channels Docker or the ChannelsDVR. This is completely on the Frndly end. Hopefully they will correct it soon.

Oh there is a notice on their website. Full Service Outage. They are aware of the issue. Frndly TV Service Status Page

Looks like FRNDLY TV is back online.
I suspect they may still may be working things out but the service appears to be back online.

Yup, it popped in and out until late this afternoon, back to normal now.

Chief

That explains the failed guide data fetch and failed recordings today up until 4pm for me.

Just FYI , As of today, FrndlyTV for Channels was failing on my DVR . with the following error on frndlytv for Channels,

" Oops! Something went wrong. Our team has been notified and is working to correct the issue. If this issue persists, please contact our Customer Experience Team by sending a message to [email protected] that includes the details of the program you are trying to watch."

"I tried playing videos from the web page on Windows then connect to "Support chat" More like "Support wait" and they looked for every reason to deny I had a problem (they took minutes to respond to me each time after I wrote to them) . Then they wanted me to reset my router (then wait again before reconnecting to them) , and I told them I could not. Then they wanted me to reboot my computer (before reconnecting to them again), which instead I started up my Mac and installed their app on Android Phone. Android gave me the same error as posted above. These are all just put-offs to get you to hang up. I had 2 different agents tell me "It is all working" but the second one, a supervisor, finally logged into my account to find that it in fact was not working. (Over one hour to get to this point) !

After that hour it was another 20 to 30 minutes of that supervisor's finger in his lower backside basically telling me he does not have a solution. I should sign up again with a new email address.

I said "no, I will not do that only to have the same problem again later , and have two accounts billing to my card."

These guys are rank armatures and have no idea how to fix a problem. I guess they lost a customer today but after a couple of weeks of having it work well then a couple weeks of intermittent failures I guess it was time to give up.

BJ_Sadfie

My comment was not "ingratitude" . It was in fact stating the obvious.

And for the comment about "Entitlement" , consider this

XYZ makes a script publicly available (like a couple that I write and make available). That script may get used in a way that XYZ did not intend but at least XYZ would have the good sense to try to make it standards compliant and yes once XYZ makes it publicly available , anyone who can download it and use it is "entitled" to do so. I am not put off if someone wants to use it in a way that I die not intend in fact it means a new potential use for it.

I guess I am guilty of trying to Call attention of the author that this is not only useful for Channels but he does seem to be so tied into channels that he even posts misinformation making channels look better than it is by mentioning a non-existent "free tier" .

This is a forum for Channels users, so it is simply not the place to have this discussion. The project is called "for channels" because that's what it was developed against and tested with. It is not reasonable to expect the developer to install every other piece of PVR software and also test for compatibility.

Either way, if you want to have a technical discussion then the place for that is where the code is discussed: https://github.com/matthuisman/frndlytv-for-channels

Since you seem to know how to write scripts, and also have NextPVR etc available for testing, perhaps you can just fix the code to your liking and create a PR instead of accusing the developer of mal-intent.

@matthuisman is not affiliated with Channels, and AFAIK doesn't even use Channels himself. He created this project because users here requested it, and because they are friendly and nice to him. We have a helpful and friendly community here, and further attacks on any members will not be tolerated.

7 Likes

And it is because independent developers who make projects like this one for the Channels community have to deal with stuff like this from time to time, that I chose to become a sponsor. It doesn’t hurt to show a little support for those who support us. Thanks @matthuisman.

4 Likes

FYI I do not write anything in that Language , sorry but nice try.

BTW the author of Frndlytv for channels links to this site for support of his script, so take your issue up with him not me.

See Frndly TV for Channels
towards bottom of page

1 Like

What does this even mean

The forum admin taking the issue up with the problem child is exactly what should be happening. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

1 Like