FTV 3 audio crackling and popping on UK HD Recordings and live

Hi, I’m noticing some regular popping and crackling on live and recorded Freeview HD video on the Fire TV 3 (dongle).
My FTV is connected wirelessly to a 5Ghz WiFi network and the audio is going to a stereo from the TV’s optical port, so I’m not using surround sound. This only seems to have started happening in the last 5-6 days. This is on v 1.0.15

Can you submit diagnostics next time it happens.

Does turning the surround sound option make any difference?

Try v1.0.16 today once the app updates

Toggling surround sound doesn’t seem to make a difference to how often it happens. It’s not incredibly harsh, the corruption but it is often noticeable every few seconds. I’ve observed it happening again this evening and submitted diagnostics a few minutes ago.

If you can upload a recording that’s having problems to google drive and send me a link that would be helpful. I’ll try playing it on my FTV3 and see if I can reproduce.

I’ve just shared a file on Google drive to you.

1 Like

How often is this happening during playback?

It happens quite regularly throughout playback. But it’s not a massive corruption, it’s more of a regular clicking/crackling in the background.

Strange I don’t hear anything like that here.

Just to confirm, on the Player Settings tab is the Surround Sound option set to On or Off?

I’ve uploaded v1.0.17 to Amazon with some improvements. Let me know if it helps.

v1.0.17 should be available on your device now.

The FTV seems to be taking a while to grab the update to .17 and apply it. So I’ll try it in the morning and let you know if it’s upgraded from .16 and/or improved.

1 Like

This looks to be significantly improved in .17 I’ll keep an ear out in case any crackling sneaks back in.

1 Like