FTV3 HD UK Freeview playback is jerky

When playing HD UK Freeview recordings the video playback is not smooth and appears quite jerky but the same video direct plays smoothly in Plex on the same device.

There’s something going on with the hardware decoder on the FTV3 that’s causing problems. It’s acting strange, very differently compared to every other FireTV and Android TV I’ve tried. I’m trying to get to the bottom of what’s up…

1 Like

This should be fixed in v1.0.20. LMK if it works as expected now.

this looks pretty good now, I’ll keep an eye out if anything changes. thanks!

1 Like

Hi, freeview playback has started to show issues again in the most recent build (.23) but it only seems to be happening on the FTV3 (the pendant one). Playing the same show on a Fire TV Stick doesn’t seem to produce the same small stalls and audio pops/cracks every 5-10 seconds. It’s not making things completely unwatchable but it IS distracting.

Something appears to have changed with the latest FireOS 6.2.1.3 update last month. I will investigate…

1 Like

I’m hearing the audio stalls, pops and cracks on a FTV3 too.

When the audio issue happens on a recording, if you rewind and replay does it happen again at the same place?

No, it doesn’t appear to pop or crack in the same place. And the actual file plays fine on Plex or VLC. Also playing back on a fire TV stick doesn’t seem to cause the issue, it only occurs on the pendant fire TV

Is the video also still jerky or only audio has issues?

The most stand out issue is the audio skipping and popping, there are very small stalls in the video but audio is definitely the most distracting.

Thanks. I think I know what the issue is and how to fix it.

Can you check some SD channels and see if they have the same problem?