Great networking advice from .... gamers

Level-Up Your Game with a Multi-Gig LAN Switch - NETGEAR Blog

Hard-Wired or Go Home
Despite the most recent advancements in WiFi technology, most gamers choose to hard-wire their PC or Console to the router. Hard-wiring your network is the only way to ensure that the network is not to blame if you crash and burn. With a hardwired connection, you can be assured that you are getting the absolute fastest speeds and the lowest latency with no lag from your internet connections. But that’s not all – you’ll want to get some super-fast lanes on that switch!

The only question is - why is it relevant to Channels? :thinking:

Errr - good question?

With a hardwired connection, you can be assured that you are getting the absolute fastest speeds and the lowest latency with no lag from your internet connections.

LOL - useless marketingbabble nonsense.

Answer is simple ethernet good, wifi bad.

Wifi is voodoo magic. You cant just go sending your info all out willy nilly into the air. What if your mom intercepts the message in the air and discovers your addiction to beastiality. Well then what???

Ethernet is just like tin-can phone with a shoestring in between. You need a cord. Sound travels down the cord and the person on the other end gets to hear you roleplaying with your pet gerbil. Your mom cant intercept that.

So to sumarize. Wired good, wireless is bad.

Ethernet is better because lower latancy, less packet loss, and no random disconects. So in channels its mostly about reliability

This thread has 100% iron clad evidence/facts that ethernet gives better experience on channels when watching pr0n.

1 Like

My Connections to my server and Nass are wireless. ... My 2 Prime units are connected to my Server Wirelessly and also are my 3 Connect 4 Units and all my Clients ... And everything works great ... My Servers/Nass is in the Garage on the Southside all my HomeRun Units and Comcast Modem in the North

AiMesh AX6100 WiFi System (RT-AX92U 2 Pack)|Whole Home Mesh WiFi System|ASUS USA

My Sound System is also Wireless on my Main Entertainment system 2 Echo Studios.

A little research and getting the right units sure helped me as I did not want to run ethernet. I wanted a System that I can easily move around and reconfigure without running unnecessary Ethernet cables.

This is a sample of what I recorded yesterday with My units connected Wirelessly to my Server no hiccups....

Wifi has come along way in advancements over the years.

Current standards, WiFi 6 and 6E, wile using the same wifi gen client hardware adapters, are getting real world, just below, or at, wired gigabit speeds in data transfer ability.
In ideal conditions, (low to no interference from other networks, not long range) latency and Jitter is extremely low as well.

The upcoming WiFi 7 standard, I see reports saying it theoretical max speed will be 33Gbps.
In my early beta testing from a company that has sent me some of their early Wifi 7 hardware...all i can say is that while I am not getting anywhere near that value, you will need at the min a 2.5Gig port and multi gigabit switch to make use of WiFi 7 dedicated AP bandwidth. I am using a 10Gig switch and backbone, and am impressed by how good wifi is becoming.

That being said, I still always prefer wired connections when ever possible.
No matter how fast or efficient R.F. based WiFi can become, RF is still, well, Radio Waves, and such can be affected by way too many things in ones environment.

1 Like

Just food for thought.... generally when you have the opportunity (new construction. Renovations etc) it is better to run wired connections. Wifi is great and it can be fast but it is still only half duplex and latency is always higher than wired. Add in the fact that there are a TON of variables that you have to account for on a regular basis. Your neighbor makes a change that affects you, you buy a new appliance, AP starts acting up etc. Also most of the time legacy devices can drag down the performace of newer faster devices. So if you want a set it and forget it, wired is the way. Dont get me wrong, i run 6 AP's in my 3300sq ft house. But that is just for devices that arent able to be wired.

Opinions... everybody has one :grin:

1 Like

I get faster duplex speeds than any ethernet cable between the units and each one has 4 gigabit ports.

Opinions .... everybody has one

You might get peak faster speeds but its still half duplex.

This shouldn't matter. Channels should not be as sensitive to latency as gaming. I can kill my DVR server by switching the network card to half duplex mode

# ethtool -s eth0 duplex half

Sorry i didnt mean that wifi cant ever meet the threshold needed for channels. I was speaking generally wired vs wifi.

Wi-Fi can meet the needs of Channels if it is heavily over-provisioned:

Wonder what it would take to remove the overprovisioning requirement ...

My FireTV 4K MAX wireless speed test gets 325.48... My Galaxy S21Ultra gets 469.99

I dont think it is an overprovisioning requirement. I think that what he means is that if you have less than 150mbit you probably have other problems (dropped packets, high latency, interference).

1. that's a lot of assumptions
  2. if you can watch 4k videos requiring 25Mbps from the internets it shouldn't even matter

If i am reasonable distance from my AP on 5ghz i should expect north of 100mbps. If i struggle to get 25 then there are other issues at play. 25mbit connection over a suspect wifi connection and a 25mbit ISP qos rate limited connection are 2 totally different things. Like a car with engine troubles that struggles to go 25mph and a perfect working moped that tops out at 25mph.

so you are objecting to having your packets delivered by a moped? Doesn't make any difference. Your less then perfect network has more latency and probably jitter too. None of this should affect your ability to watch local videos.

This unreasonable requirement for an overprovisioned network is to cover the issues in the code.

The issues with getting neterr on a hardwired HDHR devices when clients are watching on wifi could be tracked to a problem where the DVR server is blocking because a wireless client had a hiccup:

Search results for 'neterr' - Channels Community

This shouldn't stop the DVR from reading from a hardwired HDHR device.

Im not objecting to anything. I'm saying that you will have issues over a wifi network that has rf issues., If you do a speedtest and you have slow speeds over your local network there is more of a chance than not that you will have issues.

I guess what puzzles me is why are you the only one that is having issues? Channels DVR works fine for me and 99.999999% of the other people in a home type setup.

I am moving to a new home and so far the wireless networking requirements are being driven by Channels. :wink:

Is it 10k sq feet and you have an 802.11b access point?

3 Likes

“Great networking advice from gamers:”

Or… fix your broken WiFi. The problem is with your network, not with Channels DVR.

1 Like