How is PlayOn still able to record NBC?

How is PlayOn still able to record content from NBC after the transition to an encrypted stream? I would think if they can do it, so can the brilliant devs of Channels. What am I missing?

Just started using PlayOn tonight and looking at what I’ve downloaded now - it quite literally records it - as in plays the video on a device that can play Netflix and screen captures the stream.

Correct me anybody if I am wrong though!

hi there,
You are correct.
The PBS docker that was recently created uses some sort of VLC to provide the streams.
Channels will need to have some sort of internal player type system to grab the stream.
Stremium is not having issues with grabbing feeds from stuff like Philo etc.
Love my playon and Playon Cloud.

Yes, it does a screengrab in real-time. I've seen many recordings where the player UI overlay is included during the first few seconds.

Although another explanation could have been that the NBC feed they're using is from an O&O affiliate.

I'm in one of those cities, my NBC is currently still working via TVE. Thankfully I'm also able to get NBC via OTA though because I'm thinking it's only a matter of time...

2 Likes

I have faith that the Channel devs might come up with some sort of work around. At least I’m hoping so… :grinning:

Too bad we need to play this cat and mouse game.

1 Like

Can any kind soul explain why PlayOn is somehow beneficial in the Channels world?

I currently am using an HDHR and the normal TVE providers (YTTV, Philo).

Or you can read the manual.

More sources for content. This is what PlayOn Cloud works with currently:

Channels DVR has nice integration for PlayOn Cloud: Channels Support - PlayOn Cloud

I really want to use Playon and I have credits available. However, every time I have used it the playback quality really sucks. I have posted about this elsewhere in the past but since this thread mentions it and it sounds like some of you are using it, what quality are you seeing? I get a lot of jerkiness with motion/panning shots.

I haven't used Playon in a few months though. Has anyone seen any changes?

I have been using Audials2023 and it screen records everything beautifully.

I have read the manual. I don't see any advantage or benefit, so I must be missing the point.

From what I understand, it records using variable frame rate to reduce the recorded file size.
All other sources I use are constant frame rate. Cable, OTA, TVE, my custom M3U channels.

See

Right, that is what I understood from the other thread I started about this.

Do others just not see this in their videos? I am just wondering why some praise the service. They must not get the same jerkiness that I am seeing or something.

I think Jon nailed it

I guess I am too accustomed to my bluray and 4k rips.

I actually only use Audials for certain types of shows that I don't care about the audio as it also only records in stereo. But the picture quality is great. I mostly use it for cooking competition shows for the wife and some sitcoms that don't need to be 5.1 audio.

1 Like

Mileage varies in my opinion. I have some series for my wife recorded through PlayOn and the quality varies from episode to episode. I see issues with audio sync too. All in all a good service and allows me to keep content all in one place which at this point is my main objective. I know where I can go if I want to have the higher quality version over the convenient version.

2 Likes

Imagine one could do the same by playing a source in a browser and using something like OBS to record it, or if it plays in VLC, use VLC to record it.

Yes, that's what Audials does. Like @kthomas1059 mentioned, I do for convenience of having all my content in one place. Some shows that I prefer the audio quality to be better in our Living Room where I have surround sound setup, I will watch it in it's native app.

Upstairs in the bedroom I only have a soundbar so it's not as important to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.