MetroNet Fiber TV (no CableCARD offered)

I'm interested in this as well. I received a letter from a new company that's going to offer Video, Internet and Phone services over 100% fiber optics to each house in the city I live in. They are offering incredible pricing but when I asked if they support cablecards they said we don't use cablecards.

Does anyone here currently subscribe to MetroNet?

https://www.metronetinc.com

MetroNet appears to support TVE, so you could use it with our new TVE feature.

Metronet is installing fiber on our street right now. In order to use TVE I would need to subscribe to one of their TV packages, wouldn’t I? I wonder if I can subscribe and not get their STB? Of course, my HDHR Primes would be useless since they don’t support cable card :grinning:

You can still use the Prime for TVE on your cable sign up.

How does that work, Debbie? The Prime uses a CableCard, and Metronet doesn’t support CableCard since they are all IPTV. Plus, my understanding of the TVE support with the Channels DVR is that is uses the TVE login, not anything from the HDHR Prime.

My logic:

Prime uses both CC and TVE via coax connect to IP Provider (in my case...Xfinity)
Prime also supports TVE from other Providers (Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.) but via IP Provider (Fios, Xfinity, and hopefully...Metronet, etc.)

Hence, I have:

CC: Xfinity TV (via Xfinity Internet)
TVE: Xfinity TVE - Xfinity Internet
TVE: You Tube TVE - Xfinity Internet

Clear as mud?

Debbie you do not need a Prime to use TVE as a matter of fact you do not even need a tuner to get Philo PSVUE etc ... You just need a Connect or Quatro if you want to also do OTA. You just need to have a good internet connection... Channels DVR and a supported streaming service.

2 Likes

Debbies xfinity tv and your spectrum is not IPTV nor does it come through your modem or her internet, it’s delivered via coax as QAM alongside your intent connection on one cable. You don’t have up tv, you have regular cable, hence it needs a cable card in order to decode the QAM in order use a hdhrprime.

Know that I don’t need a Prime, but have only had Prime(s) for over 5 years now.

I was just pointing out to @CaptainRon that he “Could” use his Prime as he stated unused currently.

Need a bit of clarification on your post.

Did you also post/state/intend to state I couldn’t use my only HDHR device, Prime, for TVE only if I dropped CC & Xfinity TV, but still used Xfinity as my IP (using coax on Prime)?

Actually, I said that my Primes would be unused if I switched to Metronet :slight_smile: They are used daily right now with Xfinity and CableCards.

Maybe more muddy than clear? :slight_smile:

The Prime is using the CableCard to ‘tune’ the channels coming in over the Coax out of band from your internet connection. TVE is coming over the internet connection and, in the case of the Channels DVR, being recorded over the internet or can be viewed using AppleTV, PC, etc, but none of that involved the HDHR Prime. Yes, they both come through Xfinity using the same coax, but are independent of each other.

Is there a limit on the number of channels I can record at one time using TVE?

Your Internet down bandwidth is the limit.

The Prime receives QAM on the coax line from IP (Xfinity IP)

QAM uses the same 6 MHz bandwidth as ATSC, using a standard known as [ITU-Recommendation J.83 Annex B ("J.83b") which is used to deliver digital cable channels which are encoded and transmitted via cable provider (IP).

Hence, in my setup cable provider (Xfinity) also delivers TVE (Xfinity)- all on the same coax line. But to receive TVE (Xfinity) I also have to subscribe to Xfinity TV

So is that clearer for an unknown (maybe novice) user? My posts are usually in response to same unless I know the poster, but your 1st post was really 2 parts: (1) “Metronet is installing fibre In order to use TVE I would need to subscribe to one of their TV packages, wouldn’t I?” (2) “my HDHR Primes would be useless since they don’t support cable card :grinning:” Even though you didn’t pose as a question my response was intended to answer both.

To be precise I could have posted (1) No, but you would need to subscribe to MetroNet as your Internet Provider (IP) and (2) Your Prime can still be used for all TVE providers, including MetroNet and/or YouTube (TV), Hulu, etc.

BUT: Wasn’t it you who asked for more info on the process, How does that work, Debbie?“, hence I assumed that you were not a technical user and I didn’t know exactly what more info you wanted.

The posting is not muddy as it stands without all the whereas and wherefors. However, since you think it is muddy I will gladly revisit tomorrow and read it again for clarity. Were you just kidding or tongue in cheek?

BTW: Did you really read my 1st segment ?:

“Prime uses both CC and TVE via coax connect to IP Provider (in my case...Xfinity)
Prime also supports TVE from other Providers (Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.) but via IP Provider (Fios, Xfinity, and hopefully...Metronet, etc.)”

Then, sorry if I was wrong.

End rant for 8/13/19! :innocent:

I lied I wasn’t finished...I just edited it.

Not to be pedantic, but no tuner uses TVE. TV Everywhere is delivered solely through streaming from a network's internet site. With Channels, no tuner is needed at all in order to set up a TVE source, as there are no broadcast OTA/cables streams involved.

I think you may be slightly confused as to what exactly TVE is and how it works. While it does seem to work with your cable subscription, it is an internet-based service that is complementary to your cable service.

2 Likes

Hence the source of my confusion and request for clarification :smiley:

@DebbieFL, I am sorry that I ticked you off enough to cause you to rant! That certainly was not my intent!

I've split out the MetroNet discussion from the other thread.

This is a confusing statement. The HDHR PRIME has nothing to do with TVE. If MetroNet doesn't offer CableCARDs then the HDHR PRIME is useless.

Again the PRIME doesn't use or support TVE. It only supports CC.

The TVE feature is part of our DVR software and has no hardware requirements.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: IPTV - Will channels support it?