LinkPi encoder family

Looks sold out

2 Likes

The single port ENC1 V3 also on sale for $104, for whatever is left of Prime Day

https://a.co/d/8bKZdWq

Still waiting on the LinkPi and some network cables to arrive to finish my build.

1 Like

Hopefully you have good luck with the firesticks. They gave me nothing but trouble. They just werent reliable for me executing the ADB commands. Switched to ONN devices and it has been working flawlessly for me...

1 Like

Looks good I have 5 Firesticks on a URAY encoder and have no problems at all.

I am not as neat as you .... What is that rack you have ? I have an 8 Port POE switch and adapters for my Firesticks but looking for a rack.

You're on your way! I have 4 FireStick 4K Max connected to a 4-port URayCoder, and 2 FireStick 4K Max 2 connected to a 5-port LinkPi that's remote. They all work great. The URayCoder/FireStick setup has seen about a year of rock-solid use now:

I did have to consign the ONN unit pictured here to the scrap heap, as it wouldn't stay configured for Ethernet, and everything in my rack setup is PoE -- which is really good for remote management.

2 Likes

The new ONN Pro device doesnt have the same issue, it survives a reboot with USB LAN. I wish I would have waited, I have 3 that I am stuck with wifi and only 1 that can handle Ethernet.

I'm using a Tripp Lite N062-012-KJ 12-port keystone patch panel and a Middle Atlantic UFA-14.5 shelf. I'll see about getting some pictures of how they interface together - it was like they were made for each other. My only complaint is the shelf has 1/2U mounting ears, but it doesn't really cause a problem. I just have the faceplate zip-tied to the shelf through the mounting ears so I can do the build. Some parts I bought through Provantage, others through Amazon. The USB and HDMI keystones are Tripp Lite.

The Fire Sticks are hard-wired. I don't understand why someone doesn't make a POE/hardwire adapter for them. I had to stack a hardwire adapter and a POE splitter for each one. There are adapters for other sticks, but every review I saw said they don't work on Fire Sticks. Going hard wired because my wireless setup is very strict in following 802.11 standards, and Android devices don't play well in that environment.

1 Like

But someone does. :slight_smile: I take it you never came across my build list for this project?

I didn’t see your build list. I saw your setup earlier in this thread, but didn’t realize you did a build list. I did see that adapter when searching, but the 34% negative reviews and nothing specific about Fire Stick didn’t inspire confidence. I wasn’t even sure it really was POE since it had a micro USB port on it. I went with Intellinet splitters because they’ve been very reliable for me in the past. Would have been nice to have just one adapter though.

1 Like

Anyway, for the next guy that comes across this section of the thread -- this adapter works very well to power the FireStick 4K Max and Max 2 via PoE. The adapter can also be powered externally, via a micro USB input port, but it's primarily intended to be PoE powered. Highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B9ZLVGJ4

I have an original onn 4K that has had no issues with WiFi (the uraytech encoder is hardwired), but it is pretty close to the router. Ethernet not a requirement in other words.

2 Likes

So I picked up one of these recently and have it hooked to the Android TV STB given to me by my TV provider. That device is a Technicolor 4K HDR box. What I've noticed initially is that colors look fine with HDMI passthrough but with the linkpi encoder they look more washed out, and I don't think it's HDR. Any recommended changes? I have the encoding set for h.264 high 1080p/60, 8k AVBR bitrate.

Client is an Apple TV 4K 2022 version which is set for HDR.

Update: after looking at it a little bit more I think the problem is much less contrast on the encoding. Too much white level in the colors. I don't see this issue with the older uraytech encoder and my other box, the ONN.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying everyone needs to hardwire their streaming sticks. But for those of us with PoE rack setups, there are numerous compelling reasons to use Ethernet.

For me as an example, I'm living in Europe for up to 6 months of the year, so my setup needs to be bulletproof and easily managed remotely. Running everything possible PoE, makes it a snap to power cycle anything in my rack if needed.

Also, though WiFi has come a very long way, I still don't prefer to have multiple devices operating within inches of each other wirelessly. Especially in a rack setup, I think a good rule-of-thumb is to use Ethernet when available.

Yeah I can see where that could be an issue for rack setups. I guess I missed that distinction, thanks.

Encoder and the last keystone jack came today. Just waiting on ethernet cables now.

2 Likes

Ugh, doesn't look like this ENC1-V3 supports HDR passthrough.

I'm impressed with the admin options but I'm not impressed with the video quality. Might be having to send this one back, it looks worse than the old Uray.

Did you try settings from up above?

Yeah I looked at that from the get-go, but those settings are actually worse than what I have (4k bps vs. 8k).

I'll play around some more but right now the vid quality is noticeable worse with the encoder vs. the source.

Sorry, I completely forgot to mention this thread too:

Specifically deals with washed-out images on LinkPi too