MCEBuddy - Channels DVR files

By refreshing the file, if all I’ve done is compress the file (MPEG-2 to H.264), without removing the commercials, will I then lose the commercial markings? I’ve chosen not to detect commercials in MCEBuddy when compressing the file.

Markers will not change on refresh

Hi @rcgfl:
You piqued my interest re: MP4 using H.264 for conversion (on MCEBuddy), so I ran my own test today.

File: channelsmovie.mpg - 10.81gb and 3:15 length (Convert & Delete Comms)

MCEBuddy Preset - HDHomeRun H.264:
Conversion Time - 3 hrs
File Size - 3.71gb and 2:15 length
Final file container - .MPG

MCEBuddy Preset - MP4 Normal: (Didn’t use Low - Wanted to Retain Quality)
Conversion Time - 3 hrs 34 min
File Size - 3.76 gb and 2:15 length
Final file container - .MP4

Both final files are Plex compliant for naming, metadata match, sorting and playback. However, only the x.MPG file is still playable by Channels ATV. Web UI playback still is exhibiting some problems. No problems with other 3rd party players.

Primarily based on Channels compatibility and augmented by faster conversion time, I will continue to use HDHR H.264 conversion process, even if there is a slight t/c penalty on Plex playback (as reported on your tests).

As stated previously, I only use MCEBuddy for files which will be saved for long term, like movies. On most series/news/sports, it is not worth waiting the lengthy time for conversion for us, as we watch, skip comms and then delete.

Hopefully, all can replaced with a new process created by Channels’ devs.

Any updates on this?

No update or ETA on transcoding features in Channels DVR.

However yesterday I received an update from the MCEBuddy developer with an idea for easy hack which can fix the integration, so I am looking into that.

4 Likes

Please upgrade to today's new MCEbuddy beta version 2.4.7, and to DVR v2017.02.11.0312

Then run this power shell command:

Invoke-WebRequest -Method put http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/hacks/mcebuddy

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Invoke-WebRequest -Method put http://127.0.0.1:8089/hacks/mcebuddy
Invoke-WebRequest : 404 page not found
At line:1 char:1

• Invoke-WebRequest -Method put http://127.0.0.1:8089/hacks/mcebuddy
  •   + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-WebRequest], WebExc
     eption
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

Looks like I typo the URL. Fixed the command.

Ok it worked. What exactly is this going to do?

It will create a json metadata file for each recording, which can be read by mcebuddy beta so it knows the correct show name and episode details.

1 Like

ok I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for working on this!

1 Like

The first recording did the same as previous ones have been doing.

Do you see a .json file next to the .mpg file?

nope

I see it on the next recording that ends in 25 mins

Did it work?

Yep. I had to change a setting in MCEBuddy but it worked that a charm!

1 Like

Cool. Which setting?

The setting to force the file to be renamed.

1 Like

Is this power shell command assuming the DVR server is on the computer where MCEBuddy is running? If I’m running MCEBuddy on a separate computer, do I simply replace the URL with that of my DVR server?