NBC, NBC Sports, NBCU Networks No Longer Available via TV Everywhere Providers

NBC, and its regional sports networks, are no longer available in Channels via TV Everywhere providers. NBC is still, and will continue to be, available via over the air antennas.

NBC has adjusted their streaming technology to a format that is incompatible with Channels. This is not something that we can adapt to, and ends compatibility with Channels.

My NBC channel is still working

Your NBC affiliate has not migrated yet but it will within time. So while it works right now, it assuredly will become unavailable.

Is there an alternative way to get NBC into Channels?

You can add NBC, and all of your local channels, with an antenna and HDHomeRun networked TV tuner. Add this to your Channels setup to add all the free channels you receive locally via your antenna.

Will other NBC owned networks be affected?

At the time of writing, all other NBC owned networks are still working. We expect them to transition to the new streaming technology in the future and will eventually become unavailable in Channels as well. But time will tell.

UPDATE: Unfortunately all other NBCU networks, Bravo, E!, OXYGEN, SYFY, USA, GOLF, MSNBC, and CNBC have stopped working with our TVE integration.

5 Likes

Of course, you can still get NBC and the RSNs into Channels via cable and an HDHomeRun Prime /w cable card.

3 Likes

The million dollar question - is this simply the beginning of all networks transitioning over, hence making TVE useless?

13 Likes

Yep, that is true, right up until they implement DRM. Good thing there ain't much out there worth watching anyway.

4 Likes

If your cable company still supports them... there is no longer any requirement for them to do so

2 Likes

My local NBC (WNBC) is still working right now and I am located in an area where OTA is not possible. :cry:

Please leave the TVE stream in Channels for now as long as it is working even though it's not working anymore for some. :pray:

8 Likes

Horrible horrible news. NBC Sports Boston was my most used channel using this service. unsure what to do now in regards to celtics games with this news

4 Likes

Does that include msnbc?

1 Like

That's a good question. As of now, nobody has reported any issues with MSNBC.

However, if NBC eventually ends up migrating ALL of its networks to this new technology with DRM, that will include Bravo, CNBC, E!, MSNBC, NBC, Oxygen, SyFy, Telemundo, Universal Kids, Universo, and USA.

3 Likes

That is some great channels. Glad I kept my Cable cards and Primes.

5 Likes

Dang, that sucks. I watch Monday Night RAW on USA network. I guess it’s only matter of time. Guess I’m going to have to look after alternatives.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, in my market, I had to leave my Prime devices unused because Spectrum DRMing all of their channels except locals, which I can easily get OTA anywhere. TVE was my solution for that. I hope other networks don't start taking cues from NBC and end up going away as well. If so, I guess I will just stop watching anything on non local channels.

7 Likes

I wonder what the real benefit is to these networks to transition over to DRM. Is there really that much piracy? I can’t imagine they’re doing this because of a small cross section of people like us. Just some food for thought…

5 Likes

This is so incredibly stupid and frustrating.

5 Likes

The problem with cable cards on the Prime as an alternative is that not all systems offer them and the some of the ones that do are phasing them out. Cable card is dying tech just like TVE. Spectrum, for example, has already warned a bunch of people.

This really sucks because I watch a lot of recorded sports on NBC. I'm not going to go back to appointment TV where you have to watch everything live and sit through endless commercials (NASCAR, IndyCar for example). I still have a DVR on U-verse that I can use so even though it sucks compared to channels it's still functional.

2 Likes

Xfinity still offers Cable Cards and they do not Charge me for my 2 they are free.... So if they choose to not support them no problem as I am not being Charged for them.... sure beats TVE.

2 Likes

There was no extra charge for TVE either. If and when Xfinity drops support for Cable Cards (without any warning either because heck, you're not paying for it) then the problem is, you've lost access to those channels.. same as those who've relied on TVE for them, until now, too. Until then, sure, enjoy it while it lasts. But gloating doesn't make much sense in this context, either.

5 Likes

It's only TV so I do not sweat losing TVE or Cable. So many ways to watch what you want when you want out there. BTW was not gloating you are way too sensitive.

1 Like

Can you give some more detail on the specifics of this change? Is the codec incompatible? Is the communication protocol undocumented/proprietary? Is it encrypted in a way that can’t be overcome? Thanks!

2 Likes